How to research independently?

In summary, it is better to focus on one research topic at a time and join the professor's group to study the topic thoroughly. This will allow access to necessary software and resources, as well as potential collaboration with the group. While studying with the group, one can also explore other areas of interest and develop ideas for future projects. Multitasking can lead to difficulties and it is important to take good notes and remain focused on one topic at a time.
Phys12
So, I talked to my professor about doing research and he said that I can start next semester either with his group which is working on supernova or I can find my own topic and work independently (or do both). I have decided to work with his group just because I really like the research topic and if I need any assistant, the group will be readily available to help me since their area of expertise is the same.

However, I also want to explore other areas on my own as I don't want to get bogged down researching just one topic my entire life. So, how do I figure out which other topic I want to work on? Also, how will I do it on my own? I will have access to the softwares that my group does, but where do I get the data online and where do I begin?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do one thing at a time. Join the group, study the topic and see where it leads you. Often this is the best way as whatever you find may be useful to the group later on or to you alone for a future project. Read the journals and look for what interests you but remain focused on one thing. Then as you mature in the group you will naturally find other interesting problems to study and can begin to explore them.

Trying to multitask often creates problems where you don't accomplish either area of study. I've been doing this lately and find that I struggle to task switch between projects especially when I don't take good notes. Sometimes even the notes are insufficient and I have to redo some work to get back to where I left off.

1. How do I come up with a research topic?

To come up with a research topic, start by identifying your interests and areas of expertise. Then, consider current trends and issues in your field of study. You can also look at previous research and identify gaps or areas that need further investigation. Once you have a general topic in mind, refine it by narrowing it down to a specific research question or problem.

2. How do I conduct a literature review?

To conduct a literature review, start by identifying relevant sources such as books, articles, and research papers. Use keywords related to your research topic to search databases and online libraries. As you read through the literature, take notes and organize them according to themes or key points. Finally, summarize and synthesize the information to identify any gaps or contradictions in the existing research.

3. How do I collect and analyze data?

Data collection methods will vary depending on the type of research you are conducting. Some common methods include surveys, interviews, and experiments. When analyzing data, it is important to use appropriate statistical techniques and software to draw meaningful conclusions. It's also crucial to accurately record and organize your data to ensure its reliability.

4. How do I evaluate the credibility of sources?

When researching independently, it is important to critically evaluate the credibility of your sources. Look at the author's qualifications, the publication date, and the source's reputation. Also, consider the evidence provided and whether it is supported by other sources. Be cautious of biased or outdated information.

5. How do I present my research findings?

When presenting your research findings, it's important to use a format that is appropriate for your audience. This could include a research paper, presentation, or poster. Make sure to clearly state your research question, methods, and results. Use visual aids, such as graphs or charts, to support your findings. It's also important to properly cite your sources and acknowledge any limitations or future research directions.