See Infrared in Naked Eye | Tips & Techniques

• Thread starter bomme08814
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infrared
In summary, seeing infrared light with the naked eye is not possible due to its wavelength being beyond the visible spectrum. However, there are techniques such as using special filters or converting the infrared light into visible light that can allow us to see it. It is also important to take precautions while using infrared viewing equipment as it can be harmful to the eyes.
bomme08814
How to see infrared...?

Does anybody know how to see infrared in naked eye,except digital camera, which means with glass or other material...??

Science news on Phys.org
Your question is very vague- the IR spectrum is considerably broader than the visible, and is (for convenience) divided up into NIR (0.9-1.1 um), SWIR, MWIR (3-5 um), and LWIR (8-12 um). Some people go out even further. Detector materials for these different spectral regions vary: Si is ok for NIR, but MWIR and LWIR require InSb, PtSi, HgCdTe, or more exotic materials. Ge lenses are used in MWIR and LWIR applications.

Direct viewing of high levels of IR will (obviously) damage your retina since you don't have a blink reflex; so I am cautioning you to be careful.

I use a Nd:YAG laser in the lab, and some of my safety/alignment equipment is

http://www.kenteklaserstore.com/category.aspx?categoryID=11

And:

http://www.kenteklaserstore.com/category.aspx?categoryID=13

thank you so much for your answer...i appreciate that...now i can figure out what should i do...thanks

Short answer is 'no', it's beyond the visible spectrum so kind of by definition you can't see it with the naked eye.

xxChrisxx said:
Short answer is 'no', it's beyond the visible spectrum so kind of by definition you can't see it with the naked eye.

Actually no...but if we use some application such as IR card... we can see that...the question is...i want to see by using some special material such as composite glass or polymer...

bomme08814 said:
Actually no...but if we use some application such as IR card... we can see that...the question is...i want to see by using some special material such as composite glass or polymer...

You can't, question answered.

IR sensors, can detect the IR wavelengths THEN convert it to a convenient visual format. So they can do a false colour image within the visible spectrum. Out skin can detect IR radiation as it can feel heat.

You simply can't use a piece of glass becuase you are still 'seeing' in the visible spectrum. Nothing like glass/plastic or any type of filter can 'shift' the IR wavelengths into visible light.

You can use dyes that react to heat to 'see' IR radiation, but not a precise visual image.

xxChrisxx said:
You can't, question answered.

IR sensors, can detect the IR wavelengths THEN convert it to a convenient visual format. So they can do a false colour image within the visible spectrum. Out skin can detect IR radiation as it can feel heat.

You simply can't use a piece of glass becuase you are still 'seeing' in the visible spectrum. Nothing like glass/plastic or any type of filter can 'shift' the IR wavelengths into visible light.

You can use dyes that react to heat to 'see' IR radiation, but not a precise visual image.
i understand now...thanks chris... :redface:,
what do you think if i use CCD camera...?
i try to use CCD camera, but the camera does not detect the IR... i think the camera was using infrared filter.

bomme08814 said:
i understand now...thanks chris... :redface:,
what do you think if i use CCD camera...?
i try to use CCD camera, but the camera does not detect the IR... i think the camera was using infrared filter.

It's certainly possible to do with a CCD as they can detect IR, and some you can remove the ir filter.

I don't know anymore than that I'm afraid, someone round here will though.

Earlier models of video camera picked up in the IR range. There was a ferfuffle for a while since they could actually image right through people's clothes. Camera manufacturers took to installing IR filters in their camera to block this. But the filters can be removed.

You can run towards it very fast ...? and use less punctuation!

xxChrisxx said:
You simply can't use a piece of glass becuase you are still 'seeing' in the visible spectrum. Nothing like glass/plastic or any type of filter can 'shift' the IR wavelengths into visible light
Not strictly true, there are non-linear materials that can combine two long wavelength (IR) photons into one short wavelength (Visible) photon - it's how most high power blue and blue-green lasers work

Here are cameras :

http://www.gentec-eo.com/en/products/beam-diagnostics.5.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

What is infrared light?

Infrared light is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is invisible to the naked eye. It has longer wavelengths than visible light and is often used in thermal imaging.

How can you see infrared light with the naked eye?

It is not possible for humans to see infrared light with the naked eye because our eyes are not sensitive to those wavelengths. However, with the use of specialized equipment, such as infrared filters or goggles, we are able to see the effects of infrared light.

What are some tips for seeing infrared light?

One tip is to use an infrared filter on your camera lens to block out visible light and only capture infrared light. Another tip is to use a long exposure time when taking photos of infrared light, as it is less intense than visible light. Additionally, it is important to ensure that your equipment is properly calibrated for infrared light.

What are some techniques for seeing infrared light?

One technique is to use thermal imaging cameras, which can detect and display infrared light as heat. Another technique is to use infrared photography, where a camera is equipped with an infrared filter to capture the effects of infrared light. Additionally, some animals, such as snakes, are able to see infrared light naturally, and studying their eyes and visual systems can provide insight into how to see infrared light.

What are the applications of being able to see infrared light?

Being able to see infrared light has many practical applications, such as in thermal imaging for detecting heat sources, in medical imaging for detecting anomalies in the body, and in security and surveillance systems. It is also used in industries such as agriculture, where it can help identify healthy and diseased plants. Additionally, studying infrared light can provide valuable information in fields such as astronomy and environmental science.