Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to see the description

1. Dec 9, 2006 #1
    the description :
    "in 3D phononic crystal constitued of lead spherical inclusions on a face-centered cubic lattice embidded in an epoxy matrix"

The problem i don't understand:the position of the lead spherical inclusions.
    What is the epoxy matrix, is it relative to the fcc lattice ?

Do I describe my question clearly?
    Thank you....

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2006 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lead sheres in a surrounding marix: think of spheres in jello in a regular array.

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, you have not described your question clearly!
    1. Where is this quote taken from?
    2. What is the complete context?

The idea behind a phononic crystal is to create a (Bravais) lattice of variations in density and elastic modulus. Your particular lattice (Chandra, et al) is made up of spherical Pb inclusions which are arranged periodically in a chunk of epoxy. The positions of the spheres make up an FCC lattice. I imagine (and this is nothing more than a guess) you could start with a bunch of tiny Pb balls, which you first arrange in a close-packed structure, and then fill the spaces between the balls with an epoxy resin that can be cured afterwards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?