Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to select a Shottky Diode

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I ordered some shottky diodes to speed up a transistor switching.

The diodes I ordered don't work for me; I will upload a waveform with the diode if it would help.

It was mentioned in the other thread HERE about needing a "signal" shottky as the ones used for power had a large capacitance.

How do I select the one I need, or do you have a recommendation on a specific one from digikey?

"1N5819-TPCT-ND" were the ones i got and they don't work i think for the reason mentioned.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
  4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    If you’re trying to maximize switching speed, just replace the BJT with a MOSFET and eliminate the base resistor. A very common fet such as 2N7000 will have a maximum turn on time and turn off time of 10ns.

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    Check the ckt (the one with emitter degeneration resistor) mentioned by Vk6Kro in this thread -
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=575210

Schottky diode didn't work for me either. Not sure what I did wrong. Let us know how it works out.

6. Mar 6, 2012 #5
    You might also look up Baker clamp. This circuit uses two diodes, but you can use everyday 1n4148's or 1n914's

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook