Should I learn calculus before self-studying physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a thread on self-studying physics and recommends using Coursera and MIT OCW for courses. The importance of doing practice problems is highlighted, and the usefulness of the Schaum's outline series is mentioned. The conversation also mentions the expense of buying multiple books for self-studying physics and asks for recommendations on books for classical mechanics, E&M, and elementary QM, as well as the necessary mathematical background. It is suggested to first learn calculus before delving into physics or to find algebra-based physics books.
Athanasios
So, having seen micromass's marvelous thread on how to self [URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-basic-high-school-mathematics/']study mathematics[/URL] I was wondering whether someone could create a similar thread just about physics? Because it would be really helpful to get advice on how to approach the subject and which textbooks to use and maybe it could be divided into two parts, like physics based on high school math and calculus based physics - just a suggestion. So, anyone up for this challenge? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you can Google up some university course descriptions you can find out what texts they use for their classes. Often you can get these for cheap at on-line booksellers if you Google those up.

Personally, it is necessary for me to "do the homework" to understand a subject. So yes, read the texts. But also do the questions in the texts. Do them out in full and write them up as though you were going to hand them into an instructor. If I don't do that then I don't understand the subject.

For some subjects I find the Schaum's outline series very valuable. They are quite modestly priced and full of worked examples. Just don't let them be the only text you ever read on a subject. They are good for practice and for getting past a concept that is giving you trouble. But they are not (in most cases) reference texts.

Likes Athanasios
I'm not sure about the coursera course because I don't fancy videos as a way to learn even though I see they will reference some textbooks. I believe I would be more comfortable with a textbook written in a self-study fashion and also have something like a Schaum's outline series because they seem to be full of exercises.

I self study a lot, but the books get very expensive. Especially once you move into the more modern areas of physics. Classical mechanics, E&M, and elementary Quantum Mechanics are pretty much unified across all books on their methods of teaching and order of presentation. When you get past those subjects, the presentation from book to book is drastically different in both complexity and description and you honestly need many books on the same subject to get a proper view. If you are interested in a particular subject I would be glad to give you the list of books I have used, personally.

Likes Athanasios
@cpsinkule Well it would be really helpful if you could give me a book or books on classical mechanics, E&M and elementary QM, but what is the needed mathematical background for those? Because I have not taken calculus yet. Would you advise on first learning calculus and then going through the process of learning physics, or should I just find some algebra based physics books?

1. How can I effectively manage my time while self-studying physics?

Effective time management is crucial for successful self-study in physics. One tip is to create a schedule and stick to it, setting aside specific chunks of time each day for studying. It's also helpful to break up your study sessions into smaller, more manageable chunks and take breaks in between to avoid burnout.

2. What are the essential topics that I should focus on when self-studying physics?

The essential topics to focus on when self-studying physics are mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. These are the foundational concepts that will help you understand more advanced topics in physics.

3. How can I ensure that I fully understand the concepts while self-studying physics?

To ensure a thorough understanding of the concepts, it's important to practice problems regularly. Work through examples and practice exercises, and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. Additionally, try to explain the concepts to someone else, as this will help solidify your understanding.

4. What resources are available for self-studying physics?

There are many resources available for self-studying physics, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. You can also utilize resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and YouTube channels like Crash Course and Flipping Physics.

5. What are some tips for staying motivated while self-studying physics?

Staying motivated while self-studying physics can be challenging, but here are some tips to help you stay on track. Set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. Find a study buddy or join a study group to help keep you accountable. And remember to take breaks and engage in activities you enjoy to avoid burnout.