1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to self study?

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    Since there no teacher doing geometry or topology in our school,I have to learn some course all by myself.But I often come upon problems when I'm reading the book or doing the exercises.In some exercises,I even don't know which part of book can be used to solve it.

So I want to ask here hope somebody could give me some advise.Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    At this point, the way I learn something if I am completely unfamiliar with the subject is to look for a course online and watch the lectures.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    Yes,it is good to watch the lecture.But it's pity that I can't watch some good videos in youtube in my place...

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4
    It's normal if you get stuck with even quite easy problems if you are new to the subject. Quite often I get too :-)) I'm re-learning "classical" analysis and, at the same time, I'm learning stochastic analysis. Sometimes things in the stochastic analysis go well and I stuck in the classical one, sometimes vice versa. Some points I've learnt:
    * try to understand as much things as you can by heart, but if you get stuck do not stop for too long. Things tend to become clear as you proceed. (advice of Halmos);
    * try to learn every time you can;
    * love the subject ;-)
    * if you feel you loose motivation, try to improve it. What works to me is to read some article or book about a famous mathematician. This usually motivates me to the hard work;
    * discuss math with colleagues, it helps to organize your thoughts;

6. Feb 28, 2012 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If there are exercises bothering you, then you can always post them on the forum. Having somebody to guide you is a great help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook