How Can I Successfully Sell My Own Electrical Circuit Design?

• Thread starter shonick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's brother who has designed a new electrical circuit and wants to make money by selling it. However, they are unsure of how to go about doing so and have questions about potential competitors and how to determine if the design is unique. The speaker suggests seeking help from university business services and conducting research on patents to determine the novelty of the circuit.
shonick
My brother just designed a new electrical circuit which can be very useful in some devices. He would like to sell it, or in another word, he wants to make money.But he does not know how to do it. Can anyone please help.

There is a lot of concern relate to this, and I would like to know everything about it, and the following thing are the one that I can think of right now

1. When he public the desgin, what happen if there is another circuit has been made, which give the same result?

2. How can he sell his circuit to make money? He and I don't even know anything about this whole thing, please give us a completely how to do it

3. How do I know if some one has a similar circuit like mine?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shonick said:
1. When he public the desgin, what happen if there is another circuit has been made, which give the same result?

The same thing that would happen with any two competing products. If you've developed something only to find that it already exists in some successful fashion, chances are you won't make any money from it.

shonick said:
2. How can he sell his circuit to make money? He and I don't even know anything about this whole thing, please give us a completely how to do it

Well, these processes are extremely complicated and vary depending on what the device does. Asking for a complete research/marketing tutorial on an internet forum isn't really realistic. Is your brother at university? Some institutions, including the one I work at, offer business services for their students. These services will help with investigating the potential of a business venture, and often have small grants available (but more importantly, advice) for business start-up. This would apply if you wanted to arrange for the manufacture and selling of the device yourself. Though, if you have a patent, for instance, you could sell the design to another company.

shonick said:
3. How do I know if some one has a similar circuit like mine?

Research. If applicable, investigate through patents. Things like this can be very time consuming. Though I think if you don't know whether or not it's new already, I would prepare yourself for the revelation that the device isn't as novel as you think.

1. How do I determine the value of my design?

The value of a design is determined by factors such as uniqueness, quality, market demand, and production costs. You can research similar designs and their prices, consult with industry professionals, and consider your own costs and time invested in creating the design.

2. Should I sell my design online or in person?

It ultimately depends on your target audience and the type of design you are selling. Online platforms offer a larger reach and potential for sales, but in-person events or markets may attract a more specific and engaged audience for your design.

3. How should I market my design?

Marketing is crucial for selling your design. Utilize social media, create a professional website, and collaborate with influencers or bloggers to showcase your design. You can also participate in trade shows, craft fairs, and other events to promote your design to a larger audience.

4. What is the best way to protect my design from being copied?

To protect your design, you can apply for a design patent or trademark. You can also include a copyright notice on your designs and use watermarks when showcasing them online. Additionally, it's important to keep detailed records of your design development process and have contracts in place when collaborating with others.

5. How do I handle customer feedback and returns?

It's important to have a clear return policy in place for your design. Listen to customer feedback and address any concerns promptly and professionally. Offer solutions such as exchanges or refunds for dissatisfied customers, and use their feedback to improve your design or processes in the future.