How to Analyze Ion Concentrations in a Mixture of Salts?

In summary: Do you have any idea ? Its very important to know quantity of each compound.Components in the solution of a mixture of salts are ions, not salts themselves.
vead
Hello

I need some ideas . there are about nine or ten compounds that are present in water

[((H3BO3),Ca(No3)2),KNO3, KH2PO4), (K2SO4, (ZnSO4)]how to separate the compounds ? how to measure quantity of each ?

I did google search , I got the HPLC , GC , spectroscopy , but I don't understand which method should I have to use ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You don't have these compound in water, but individual ions. All you can do its to determine concentration of each ion separately.

One method that fits them all can be difficult to find. ASA would be probably closest.

Likes vead
Borek said:
You don't have these compound in water, but individual ions. All you can do its to determine concentration of each ion separately.

One method that fits them all can be difficult to find. ASA would be probably closest.
actually I am mixing all inorganic compound in water then I want to know the quantity of each compound ?
I did search , I don't have any Idea that HPLC , GC work to separate inorganic compound

vead said:
actually I am mixing all inorganic compound in water then I want to know the quantity of each compound ?

Identical solutions can be prepared using different compounds. If you dissolve NaCl and KBr, produced solution is identical to the one prepared by dissolving NaBr and KCl (assuming properly chosen quantities of salts). Thus you can't know what compounds are present, you can just list ions and their concentrations.

Borek said:
Identical solutions can be prepared using different compounds. If you dissolve NaCl and KBr, produced solution is identical to the one prepared by dissolving NaBr and KCl (assuming properly chosen quantities of salts). Thus you can't know what compounds are present, you can just list ions and their concentrations.
Hello
I got definition from page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-performance_liquid_chromatography
High-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC; formerly referred to as high-pressure liquid chromatography), is a technique in analytical chemistry used to separate the components in a mixture, to identify each component, and to quantify each component

do you have any idea ? Its very important to know quantity of each compound.

Components in the solution of a mixture of salts are ions, not salts themselves. I gave you an example why it is the case.

1. How do I separate components in a mixture?

There are several methods for separating components in a mixture, including filtration, distillation, chromatography, and evaporation. The method you choose will depend on the specific properties of the components in your mixture.

2. What is the easiest way to separate components in a mixture?

The easiest way to separate components in a mixture is typically through filtration or evaporation. These methods do not require specialized equipment and can be done with common household items.

3. How do I know which method of separation to use?

The method of separation you should use depends on the physical and chemical properties of the components in your mixture. For example, if the components have different boiling points, distillation would be the most effective method.

4. What are some factors that can affect the separation of components in a mixture?

The efficiency of separation can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the particles, the solubility of the components in the solvent, and the temperature and pressure of the system. It is important to consider these factors when choosing a separation method.

5. Can I separate components that have similar properties?

Yes, it is possible to separate components that have similar properties, but it may require more complex methods such as chromatography. This method relies on the different affinities of the components to a stationary phase, such as a solid or liquid, to separate them.