How to set frequency in matlab

In summary, the conversation was about determining the expression to calculate the magnitude of the input impedance for a short-circuit transmission line of length 10cm. The MATLAB coding for this solution was provided and included setting the line parameters, calculating the velocity of propagation, and plotting the magnitude of the input impedance when the frequency was swept from 1GHz to 3GHz. The correct coding was also provided for reference.
jagan_kumar_v
Question?
for a short-circuit transmission line of l=10cm. determine the the expression to calculate the magnitude of the input impedance. Use MATLAB to draw magnitude plot when the frequency is swept away from f=1GHz to 3GHz. the line parameters are: L=209.4nH/m and C=119.5pF/m.

My MATLAB coding for this solution:

L=209.410e-9;
c=119.510e-12;
vp=1/sqrt(L*C);
Z0=sqrt(L/C);
l=0.1;
N=5000;
f=1e9+3e9*(0:N)/N;
Z=tan(2*pi*f*d/vp);
axis([1 3 0 500])

i am not sure whether i have set the frequency in the coding correctly, can anyone pls chk this for me thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct MATLAB coding for this solution is:
L=209.410e-9;
C=119.510e-12;
vp=1/sqrt(L*C);
Z0=sqrt(L/C);
l=0.1;
N=5000;
f=linspace(1e9,3e9,N);
Z=Z0*tanh(2*pi*f*l/vp);
plot(f,abs(Z));
title('Input Impedance of Short-circuit Line');
xlabel('Frequency (Hz)');
ylabel('Impedance (Ohm)');
axis([1 3 0 500])

Your coding looks correct for setting the frequency range from 1GHz to 3GHz. However, it would be helpful to also include a plot command to actually plot the magnitude of the input impedance versus frequency, as that is the main objective of the task. Additionally, you may want to double check the values of the line parameters and make sure they are in the correct units (e.g. L should be in units of H/m and C should be in units of F/m). Overall, your approach seems reasonable and should provide the desired result.

1. How do I set the frequency in MATLAB?

To set the frequency in MATLAB, you can use the "freq" function. This function takes in two inputs: the sampling rate and the desired frequency. For example, if you want to set the frequency to 100 Hz with a sampling rate of 1000 Hz, you would use the command "freq(1000, 100)".

2. Can I set a specific frequency range in MATLAB?

Yes, you can set a specific frequency range in MATLAB by using the "freqrange" function. This function takes in three inputs: the sampling rate, the starting frequency, and the ending frequency. For example, if you want to set a frequency range from 50 Hz to 200 Hz with a sampling rate of 1000 Hz, you would use the command "freqrange(1000, 50, 200)".

3. How do I plot a signal with a specific frequency in MATLAB?

To plot a signal with a specific frequency in MATLAB, you can use the "plot" function. This function takes in two inputs: the time vector and the signal values. You can create the time vector using the "linspace" function, and then use the "sin" or "cos" function to generate the signal with the desired frequency. For example, to plot a signal with a frequency of 50 Hz, you can use the command "plot(linspace(0,1,1000), sin(2*pi*50*linspace(0,1,1000)))".

4. How do I change the frequency of an existing signal in MATLAB?

If you already have a signal in MATLAB and you want to change its frequency, you can use the "resample" function. This function takes in three inputs: the signal, the new sampling rate, and the old sampling rate. The new sampling rate should be equal to the desired frequency multiplied by the old sampling rate. For example, if you want to change the frequency of a signal from 100 Hz to 50 Hz, you would use the command "resample(signal, 5000, 10000)".

5. Can I use MATLAB to generate a signal with multiple frequencies?

Yes, you can use MATLAB to generate a signal with multiple frequencies by using the "sum" function. This function takes in multiple inputs, which can be signals with different frequencies. For example, if you want to generate a signal with frequencies 100 Hz and 200 Hz, you can use the command "signal = sum(sin(2*pi*100*t), sin(2*pi*200*t))", where t is the time vector. You can then plot this signal using the "plot" function as mentioned in question 3 above.