1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to set up probability of numeric recurrence in lottery

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    It has been a long time, and I do not remember how to set up a probability calculation with the following variables -
    take a lottery that draws 12 numbers, values 0-9 only, from a hopper that replaces the number after it is drawn, i.e. probability of each number appearing remains constant.
    How do I set up an equation to determine probability of, say
    2 numbers each appearing 3 times
    1 number 3 times and 1 number 4 times, etc..... (can be any two numbers, just want to calculate probability of it happening at all, not for specific digits.)
    any help appreciated, thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2005 #2
    This is an easy problem. Take dice, what chance is there to get "snake eyes"? Well the 2 can occur in only one way (which is the case with the numbers you are mentioning) and so of the 36 possibilities with two dice there is only 1/36 chance that it will come on the next roll. To come up twice would be: 1/36 x 1/36 = 1/1296, but it will happen anyway!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?