1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to setup an integral in spherical coordinates for the volume of p = 2 sin O(theta

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    Here is the problem:

Find the volume of the region enclosed by the spherical coordinate surface [tex]\rho = 2 \sin\theta[/tex], using spherical coodinates for the limits of the integral.

Here is what I have:

I don't know if this is right, but here it is [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\sin\theta}\;\rho^2\;\sin\theta\;d\rho\;d\phi\;d\theta[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks okay.Did u plot it?Heh,u we use [itex] r,\varphi,\vartheta [/itex] as the spherical coordinates...:wink:

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    Whoops!

I posted the wrong thing. Instead of [tex]2\sin\theta[/tex] for the first integrals upper limit, it should be [tex]2\sin\phi[/tex]?

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\sin\phi}\;\rho^2\;\sin\theta\;d\rho\;d\phi\;d\theta[/tex]

So confusing!

Is that wrong now?

The graph looks like a donut without the hole centered at the origin. I will post it shortly.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,it looks okay.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?