Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to setup an integral in spherical coordinates for the volume of p = 2 sin O(theta

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    Here is the problem:

Find the volume of the region enclosed by the spherical coordinate surface [tex]\rho = 2 \sin\theta[/tex], using spherical coodinates for the limits of the integral.

Here is what I have:

I don't know if this is right, but here it is [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\sin\theta}\;\rho^2\;\sin\theta\;d\rho\;d\phi\;d\theta[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It looks okay.Did u plot it?Heh,u we use [itex] r,\varphi,\vartheta [/itex] as the spherical coordinates...:wink:

Daniel.

4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    Whoops!

I posted the wrong thing. Instead of [tex]2\sin\theta[/tex] for the first integrals upper limit, it should be [tex]2\sin\phi[/tex]?

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\sin\phi}\;\rho^2\;\sin\theta\;d\rho\;d\phi\;d\theta[/tex]

So confusing!

Is that wrong now?

The graph looks like a donut without the hole centered at the origin. I will post it shortly.

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,it looks okay.

Daniel.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook