How to show only multiples of unit energy are allowed in QHO by ladder operator

In summary, the commutator [H,a^+] only has non-zero matrix elements when the difference between the energies of the two eigenstates is 2\hbar, and this allows us to sequentially order the eigenstates and assign integer numbers to them. This also implies that there will not be any energy eigenvalues between those multiples.
HotMintea
I'd like to know how to do it without solving via Hermite polynomials, so that I can check by both methods when I solve other problems. I have tried to figure out myself but I need some help.

Let's say [itex] H:=x^2+p^2 [/itex], and [itex] a:= x-ip [/itex].

So that [itex] [a,a^+]=2\hbar [/itex], [itex] H a \varphi_i = (E_i - 2\hbar)\varphi_i [/itex], and [itex] H a^+ \varphi_i = (E_i + 2\hbar)\varphi_i [/itex], where [itex] \varphi_i [/itex] is an eigenstate.

Further, [itex] \langle i|[H,a^+]|j\rangle=(E_i-E_j)\langle i|a^+|j\rangle=2\hbar\langle i|a^+|j\rangle[/itex] .

My text says "the matrix element [itex] \langle i|a^+|j\rangle [/itex] vanishes, unless the difference [itex] E_i-E_j [/itex] between the energies of the two eigenstates is the constant [ [itex] 2\hbar [/itex] ]."
( I have put ' [ ] ' where I changed due to simplification of H. )

I understand the statement. My question is: How does it suggest that there won't be any energy eigenvalues between those multiples? ( Or is there any other way to show it? ) Note that the text doesn't explicitly say that, but it is followed by

"This fact implies that we may sequentially order the eigenstates connected by [itex] a^+ [/itex], the difference between two consecutive energies being [ [itex] 2\hbar [/itex] ]. Another consequence is that we may assign an integer number n to each eigenstate."

Any help would be appreciated.

Source: p.35, Quantum Mehcanics: A Modern and Concise Introductory Course

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
by Daniel Bes, Springer

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I understand your confusion and will try to explain the reasoning behind the statement in your text.

Firstly, let's consider the commutator [H,a^+]. From the given equations, we know that this commutator should equal 2\hbar. Now, let's expand this commutator using the definition of the commutator:

[H,a^+] = Ha^+ - a^+H

Substituting the expressions for H and a^+, we get:

[H,a^+] = (x^2+p^2)(x+ip) - (x+ip)(x^2+p^2)

= x^3 + ix^2p + px^2 + ip^2x + x^2p + ip^3 - x^3 - ix^2p - px^2 - ip^2x

= 2ip^2x

= 2\hbar

Since the commutator equals 2\hbar, we can conclude that the matrix element <i|a^+|j> must be non-zero only when the difference between the energies of the two eigenstates is 2\hbar.

Now, let's consider the statement that the text makes about sequentially ordering the eigenstates connected by a^+. This means that we can assign an integer number n to each eigenstate, starting from the ground state (n=0) and increasing by 1 for each consecutive eigenstate. This is because, as we saw earlier, the commutator [H,a^+] only has non-zero matrix elements when the difference between the energies of the two eigenstates is 2\hbar. This means that the eigenstates connected by a^+ have energies that differ by multiples of 2\hbar. Therefore, we can assign an integer number n to each eigenstate, with the ground state having n=0 and the next eigenstate having n=1, and so on.

I hope this explanation helps you understand why the text states that the matrix element <i|a^+|j> vanishes unless the difference between the energies of the two eigenstates is 2\hbar, and how this fact allows us to assign integer numbers to each eigenstate. Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

1. What is a quantum harmonic oscillator (QHO)?

A quantum harmonic oscillator is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a particle in a potential energy well. It is a simplified version of the more complex quantum mechanical systems, but it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used in many areas of physics, including quantum field theory, solid state physics, and quantum chemistry.

2. How are unit energy multiples related to the QHO ladder operators?

The QHO ladder operators, also known as creation and annihilation operators, are mathematical operators that act on the quantum state of the system. They generate new states by either adding or subtracting a fixed amount of energy, which is known as a unit energy multiple. This process allows for the quantization of energy levels in the QHO system.

3. Why are only multiples of unit energy allowed in the QHO?

This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics known as the quantization of energy. In the QHO system, the energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level, which results in energy being absorbed or emitted in discrete packets.

4. How does the ladder operator method demonstrate the allowed energy levels in the QHO?

The ladder operator method is a mathematical tool used to calculate the energy levels of the QHO system. By applying the ladder operators to the ground state, or lowest energy level, of the system, we can generate all possible energy states. The allowed energy levels are then determined by the requirement that the energy levels must be finite and discrete.

5. Can the ladder operator method be applied to other quantum systems?

Yes, the ladder operator method can be applied to many other quantum systems, including atoms, molecules, and other potential wells. However, the specific form of the ladder operators may vary depending on the system. This method is a powerful tool in understanding the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics and is widely used in many areas of physics.