Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show tanx is surjective?

1. Nov 12, 2004 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How can I show the function [itex]f:]-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[ \rightarrow R[/itex] defined by [itex]f(x)=tan(x)[/itex] is surjective?

If the domain was a closed interval I could use the intermediate value theorem, but now?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try working directly with the definition. Can you find a preimage for every object in the range of f?

4. Nov 12, 2004 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The domain can't be the closed interval, so I don't see how that would help. tan(x) is not defined when x = [itex]\pi / 2[/itex]. Anyways, you know that it is continuous. You know that the limit as x approaches [itex]\pi /2[/itex] from the left is [itex]\infty[/itex] and by the definition of the limit, you can argue that "all the big numbers" are achieved by f. The definition of such a limit says that for any N, you can find a [itex]\delta[/itex] such that for all x in [itex](\pi /2 - \delta, \pi /2)[/itex], f(x) > N. Since you can choose any N, you can show that all the numbers greater than all N are achieved. Choose N to be something simple like 1. You can also show that the values 1 and -1 are achieved, and by intermediate value theorem, all numbers in (-1, 1) are thus achieved. Finally, the you know the limit as x approaches [itex]\pi /2[/itex] from the right and argue in a similar fashion that all numbers less than 1 are achieved. I'm not sure, but the last few steps might be superfluous. It might be sufficient to show that f is continuous and the left-hand limit as x approaches [itex]\pi / 2[/itex] is [itex]\infty[/itex]. I'm not sure. The above, I believe, is enough to prove it, if not too much.

5. Nov 12, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, right, I may have been answering the question at the wrong level.

One thing you might consider is that if a and b are in the domain of f, then the closed interval [a, b] is a subset of the domain of f.

If you're familiar with the extended real line, then you could extend f continuously to [-pi/2, pi/2] as a function whose range is the extended real line, rather than the reals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?