Discover the Answer: Thank You for Your Help!

• Thread starter ploum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thanks
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lorentz transformations and their relationship to non-commutativity. The speaker suggests that the original problem can be answered by showing that the Lorentz transformations form a non-abelian group. They also mention that spatial rotations, which are a type of Lorentz transformation, are generally non-commutative. The speaker provides examples to illustrate this concept and suggests trying a similar approach with Lorentz boosts.
ploum
thank you for giving me the answer :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt anyone will just give you the answer without you putting some effort in. For example, try writing what you know about lorentz transformations, how you might go about answering the question, etc..

Why should someone spend time answering a question that you have not even asked properly?

Last edited:
HINT: Lorentz boosts along the same space axis do form an uniparameter group.

Daniel.

long way of doing things: Lorentz transformations form a group, if this group is non-abelian then you original problem is answered. may need to work out multiplication table of this group to show that... or perhaps there are smarter way to do things? I'll leave that to you... but one final remark: if all you need to show is that they are in general such as such...just show by examples

From the way you posed the question, you just need to find one counterexample to commutativity.

Note that a spatial rotation is a particular Lorentz transformation. Hopefully you know that spatial rotations in three-dimensional [Euclidean] space are also generally noncommutative. There's a famous example with rotating a book by 90 degrees along two different axes successively, then comparing the results when the order is reversed.

You're probably asking about Lorentz boosts. You might try the analogue of the preceding example... implicit in the hint by dextercioby.

1. What is "Thanks for the Answer!"?

"Thanks for the Answer!" is a phrase commonly used to express gratitude or appreciation for someone providing a helpful or informative response to a question or problem.

2. Is "Thanks for the Answer!" a polite phrase?

Yes, "Thanks for the Answer!" is considered a polite and gracious way to thank someone for their help.

3. Can "Thanks for the Answer!" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, "Thanks for the Answer!" can be used in a professional setting to express gratitude for a colleague or expert providing a helpful response or solution.

4. Are there any alternatives to "Thanks for the Answer!"?

Yes, there are many alternatives to "Thanks for the Answer!" such as "Thank you for your help," "I appreciate your response," or "Your answer was very helpful."

5. Is it necessary to say "Thanks for the Answer!" every time someone helps me?

No, while expressing gratitude is important, it is not necessary to say "Thanks for the Answer!" every time someone helps you. A simple "thank you" or other expression of thanks can also be appropriate.