Investigating Linearity of Event Occurrences Over Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of investigating whether the occurrences of an event increase linearly with time using distribution data. The individual also asks for advice on which statistics to use and suggests visualizing the data with box plots or a linear trend line. Additionally, there is a mention of using linear regression to determine the probability of a small slope in the data.
Master1022
Homework Statement
How to show that the occurrences of an event does not increase linearly over time?
Relevant Equations
Mean, standard deviation
Hi,

I think this is a simple question, but I just wanted to ask how I could go about showing this in a scientific manner. I will try to use an analogy later on which is, I hope, a simple way to understand what I am doing.

What I am trying to do:
I am trying to investigate whether the occurrences of an event increase linearly with time (i.e. if it happens 10 times in 1 month, then it will happen 20 times in 2 months).

What I have:
I have distribution data about the number of event occurrences for different time horizons (1 month, 2 months, ... , 6 months). From this distribution data, I can calculate all the common stats: mean, median, standard deviation, upper quartile, lower quartile, etc.

Why is it a distribution? Here is where I draw upon an analogy.
Let us imagine we want to measure the number of times some particles, in a box, collide in a certain time-frame. We can number the particles from 1 to ##n##, and then record over, for example, 1 minute, how many times they each bump into one another. Then we have a distribution from which we can calculate statistics. (Don't worry about any double counting here, that is not an issue in my problem, and this was just a simple analogy I made up in my head). Then we can run the experiment again for 2 minutes, 3 minutes, etc. and look at the distributions for each of the time horizons.

Now, returning to my problem:

What I am confused about:
1. What statistics should I be using to investigate this claim? If the data is normally distributed, should I be using the mean? Otherwise, should I be using the median?
- My data isn't normally distributed so I am leaning towards the median
- For example, we could look at the median (or mean) for 1 month and then look how the medians for later horizons compare to ##k \times ## 1 month.

2. What would be a nice way to visualize this?
- The idea I currently have is to visualize this is to have box plots (or even just points with error bars) to represent the median and LQ/UQ at each time horizon
- In background, I can have a simple linear trend line to represent what the median should look like if it were increasing linearly (basically just a line that passes through the integer multiples of the 1 month data).

I hope this makes sense and I would appreciate any insight or advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is a clear non-linear trend of the mean, then you might be able to show that with some probability. If it is linear, then you can only show that there is some probability of a small slope. You can not prove that the slope is zero, but you can use linear regression to show with some probability that the slope is not very large.

Likes Master1022

1. What is the purpose of investigating linearity of event occurrences over time?

The purpose of investigating linearity of event occurrences over time is to determine if there is a linear relationship between the frequency of events and time. This can help identify patterns and trends in the data, and can be useful for predicting future event occurrences.

2. How is linearity of event occurrences over time measured?

Linearity of event occurrences over time is typically measured using statistical methods such as correlation analysis or regression analysis. These methods can determine the strength and direction of the relationship between event occurrences and time.

3. What factors can affect the linearity of event occurrences over time?

There are several factors that can affect the linearity of event occurrences over time, including external influences, sample size, and data collection methods. It is important to consider these factors when interpreting the results of the investigation.

4. What are some potential limitations of investigating linearity of event occurrences over time?

One potential limitation is that the data may not be truly linear, but may instead follow a different pattern such as exponential or logarithmic. Additionally, the data may be affected by outliers or other sources of error, which can impact the accuracy of the results.

5. How can the results of investigating linearity of event occurrences over time be used?

The results of investigating linearity of event occurrences over time can be used to make predictions about future event occurrences and to identify potential areas for further research. This information can also be useful for decision-making and planning in various fields such as economics, healthcare, and environmental science.