How to show that n < (n+1)^n

• Thread starter brookey86
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the equation n! < (n+1)n without providing a proof, and the possibility of using a product summation symbol to compare the two expressions. The suggestion is made to use proof by induction to confirm the relationship between the two expressions.
brookey86

Homework Statement

n! < (n+1)n

I am not looking for a proof, just a way to simplify this equation mathematically.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I can see, I cannot simplify this any further. Is there something I can divide out of both sides, for example?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]n! = \prod_i=1^n i[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^n =\prod_i=1^n (n+1)[/tex]

What can you say about the relation between i and n+1?

zcd said:
[tex]n! = \prod_i=1^n i[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^n =\prod_i=1^n (n+1)[/tex]

What can you say about the relation between i and n+1?

EDIT: bad latex
[tex]n! = \prod_{i=1}^n i[/tex]
[tex](n+1)^n =\prod_{i=1}^n (n+1)[/tex]

I can see that i will always be less than n+1. But is there a way to compare the two without using the product summation symbol?

You could confirm what you wrote:
[tex](\frac{1}{n+1})( \frac{2}{n+1} ) ...( \frac{n-1}{n+1} )( \frac{n}{n+1} )< 1 \Rightarrow n! < (n+1)^n[/tex]

Since that formula depends upon the postive integer n, you might consider proof by induction.

1. How do you prove that n < (n+1)^n is true for all values of n?

To prove this statement, you can use mathematical induction. First, show that it is true for the base case n=1. Then, assume it is true for some arbitrary value of n, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n+1. This shows that the statement holds for all values of n.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this inequality?

Sure, let's take n=2. The statement becomes 2 < (2+1)^2, which simplifies to 2 < 3^2, or 2 < 9. This is clearly true, since 2 is less than 9. You can try plugging in other values of n to see that the statement holds true for all values.

3. Why is this inequality important in mathematics?

This inequality is important because it helps us understand the relationship between different mathematical expressions. It also shows that as n increases, the value of (n+1)^n increases at a faster rate than n. This can be useful in various mathematical proofs and calculations.

4. Can this inequality be reversed?

Yes, the inequality can be reversed to (n+1)^n < n. However, this is not true for all values of n. In fact, it is only true for n=0 and n=1. For all other values of n, the original inequality n < (n+1)^n holds.

5. How can this inequality be applied in real life situations?

This inequality can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as in finance or population growth. For example, in finance, this inequality can be used to understand the concept of compound interest, where the value of an investment increases at a faster rate than the initial investment. In population growth, this inequality can help us understand how a population grows exponentially over time.