Proving the Falsehood of the Homomorphism Property for Ω:Zp^n→Zp^n

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
In summary, ##\Omega## is a function defined as ##x^{p}##, where ##p## is a prime number. This function is used to prove that ##\Omega## is a homomorphism under addition in a ring with order ##p^n##. However, it has been shown that in some cases, this result is false, such as when ##p = n = 2##. Therefore, the statement is not true for all values of ##n## and ##p##.
Bachelier
Define ##\Omega: \mathbb{Z_{p^n}} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z_{p^n}}## where ##p## is prime

with ##\ \ \ \ \ \ \Omega(x) = x^{p}##

I am trying to prove this is a ##Hom## under addition.

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially just apply the binomial theorem. Since the ring has characteristic p all the undesired terms vanish.

The ring ##K## has order ##p^n## which makes it ##\cong \mathbb{Z_{p^n}}##

Last edited:
jgens said:
Essentially just apply the binomial theorem. Since the ring has characteristic p all the undesired terms vanish.

You did notice that the ring I am working with has ##p^n## elements. It is an extension field of ##\mathbb{Z_{p^n}}##.

Last edited:
Oh whoops you are right! Unless I am mistaken it turns out the result is actually false! Take p = n = 2 and consider the map Ω:Z4Z4 given by Ω(x) = x2. Then Ω(1+1) = Ω(2) = 22 = 0 but Ω(1)+Ω(1) = 12+12 = 2.

Likes 1 person
jgens said:
Oh whoops you are right! Unless I am mistaken it turns out the result is actually false! Take p = n = 2 and consider the map Ω:Z4Z4 given by Ω(x) = x2. Then Ω(1+1) = Ω(2) = 22 = 0 but Ω(1)+Ω(1) = 12+12 = 2.

yes, even in the general case ##\Omega(1+1) = 2^p \neq 2 = \Omega(1) + \Omega(1) \ \forall n, p \geq 2##

What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and operations of a mathematical system. In other words, it maps elements of one set to elements of another set while maintaining the same relationships between those elements.

How can I prove that a function is a homomorphism?

To show that a function is a homomorphism, you must demonstrate that it preserves the operations of the mathematical system. This means that the function must map the result of an operation on two elements in the first set to the result of the same operation on the corresponding elements in the second set.

What is the difference between a homomorphism and an isomorphism?

A homomorphism preserves the structure and operations of a mathematical system, while an isomorphism also preserves the identity element and is a one-to-one mapping between two sets. In other words, an isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism.

Can a function be a homomorphism for some operations but not others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be a homomorphism for some operations but not others. For example, a function may preserve addition but not multiplication in a given mathematical system. This is known as a partial homomorphism.

Why are homomorphisms important in mathematics?

Homomorphisms are important in mathematics because they allow for the comparison and analysis of different mathematical structures. They also provide a way to simplify complex systems and make them easier to study and understand.