How to simplify the solution of the following linear homogeneous ODE?

In summary: Now, we can use the substitution ##v = 2u## to rewrite the integral as follows:##\frac{\pi^{0.5}}{2} \int_0^{\infty} \exp^{-\frac{v^2}{4}} \frac{v \cos (v) + \frac{c}{2} (2 \cos (v) - 1)}{c^2 + v^2} dv##6. Finally, we can use the hint given in the problem to simplify the integral. Using the given integral, we can rewrite the final equation as follows:##h(x,t) = \frac
Atr cheema
During solution of a PDE I came across following ODE
##
\frac{d \bar h}{dt} + \frac{K}{S_s} \alpha^2 \bar h = -\frac{K}{S_s} \alpha H h_b(t)
##
I have to solve this ODE which I have done using integrating factor using following steps
taking integrating factor [itex] I=\exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} [/itex] and [itex]\frac{K}{S_s} = \frac{1}{D}[/itex]
##
I \frac{d \bar h}{dt} + I \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 \bar h = -I \frac{1}{D} \alpha H h_b(t)
\\
I \frac{d \bar h}{dt} + I \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 \bar h= -I \frac{1}{D} \alpha H h_b(t)
\\
\frac{d \bar h}{dt} \exp^{\frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} + \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 \bar h \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} = - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H h_b(t) \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt}
\\
\frac{d \bar h}{dt} \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} = - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H h_b(t) \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt}
\\
\int_0^t \frac{d \bar h}{dt} \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} = \int_0^t - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H h_b(t) \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} dt
\\
\bar h I = - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H \int_0^t h_b(t) \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} dt
\\
\bar h = - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H \int_0^t h_b(t) \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 d \tau} \exp^{- \int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} dt
\\
\bar h = - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H \int_0^t h_b(t) \exp^{\int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 d \tau - \int \frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 dt} dt
\\
\bar h = - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H \int_0^t h_b(t) \exp^{\frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 \int d \tau - \int dt} dt
\\
\bar h = - \frac{1}{D} \alpha H \int_0^t h_b(t) \exp^{\frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 ( \tau - t)} dt\\
##
This solution is to be used in following equation
##
h(x,t) = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} \bar h \frac{\alpha \cos (\alpha x) + H \sin (\alpha x)}{H^2 + \alpha^2} d\alpha
##
which results in following equation
##
h(x,t) = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} [\frac{-1}{D} \alpha H \int_0^t h_b(t) \exp^{\frac{1}{D} \alpha^2 (\tau - t)} dt] \frac{\alpha \cos (\alpha x) + H \sin (\alpha x)}{H^2 + \alpha^2} d \alpha
##

I need to simplify this above equation. As a hint I know following integral will be employed during its simplification.
##
\int_0^{\infty} \exp^{- {\alpha}^2 {\alpha}^2}. \frac{{\alpha}^2 \cos (\alpha x) + \alpha c \sin (\alpha x)}{c^2 + \alpha^2} d\alpha = \frac{\pi^{0.5}}{2 \alpha} \exp^{\frac{-x^2}{4 {\alpha}^2}} - \frac{c \pi}{2} \exp^{{\alpha}^2 c^2 +cx} .erfc{\alpha c + \frac{x}{2 \alpha}}
##

Can somebody help me how can second last equation be simplified using the integral in last equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your solution to the ODE. It looks like you have made some good progress in solving it using the integrating factor method.

To simplify the final equation, you can use the following steps:

1. First, let's rewrite the integral in the last equation as follows:
##
\int_0^{\infty} \exp^{- {\alpha}^2 {\alpha}^2}. \frac{{\alpha}^2 \cos (\alpha x) + \alpha c \sin (\alpha x)}{c^2 + \alpha^2} d\alpha = \int_0^{\infty} \exp^{- {\alpha}^2 {\alpha}^2} \frac{\alpha (\alpha \cos (\alpha x) + c \sin (\alpha x))}{c^2 + \alpha^2} d\alpha
##

2. Next, we can use the identity ##\exp^{-{\alpha}^2} = \frac{\pi^{0.5}}{2 \alpha} \exp^{\frac{-x^2}{4 {\alpha}^2}}## to rewrite the integral as follows:
##
\int_0^{\infty} \frac{\pi^{0.5}}{2 \alpha} \exp^{\frac{-x^2}{4 {\alpha}^2}} \frac{\alpha (\alpha \cos (\alpha x) + c \sin (\alpha x))}{c^2 + \alpha^2} d\alpha
##

3. Now, we can use the substitution ##u = \frac{x}{2 \alpha}## to rewrite the integral as follows:
##
\frac{\pi^{0.5}}{2} \int_0^{\infty} \exp^{-u^2} \frac{2u \cos (2u) + c \sin (2u)}{c^2 + (2u)^2} du
##

4. Next, we can use the fact that ##\sin (2u) = 2 \cos (2u) - 1## to rewrite the integral as follows:
##
\frac{\pi^{0.5}}{2} \int_0^{\infty} \exp^{-u^2} \frac{2u \cos (2u) + c (2 \cos (2u) - 1)}{

1. How do I identify a linear homogeneous ODE?

A linear homogeneous ODE has the form y' + p(x)y = 0, where y' denotes the derivative of y with respect to x, and p(x) is a continuous function.

2. How can I simplify the solution of a linear homogeneous ODE?

To simplify the solution of a linear homogeneous ODE, you can use the method of separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution techniques.

3. Is there a general formula for solving linear homogeneous ODEs?

Yes, there is a general formula for solving linear homogeneous ODEs. It is known as the integrating factor method, which involves multiplying the entire equation by an integrating factor to make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use a computer program to solve a linear homogeneous ODE?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages that can solve linear homogeneous ODEs. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques used to solve these equations in order to use the programs effectively.

5. Are there any special cases of linear homogeneous ODEs that can be solved without using the general formula?

Yes, there are some special cases of linear homogeneous ODEs that have simpler solutions. For example, if the coefficient of y' is a constant, the equation can be solved using the method of separation of variables. Also, if the equation is of the form y' + ky = 0, where k is a constant, the solution is y = Ce^-kx, where C is a constant.