1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve 4/3 sin(x) = x

1. May 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    those above steps imo are unnecessary, all i need to know is how to solve 4/3(sin theta)=theta, thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: trig

Two things:
    1. Is your equation 4/3 * sin(theta) = theta or is it 4/[3 sin(theta)] = theta?
    2. You are not going to be able to solve your equation, whichever one it is, by algebraic means. The best you can do is to get an approximate solution.

4. May 4, 2009 #3
  5. May 4, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The link you gave is broken, so I don't know what you meant to show me. In any case, what I said in post 2 still applies.

6. May 4, 2009 #5

its not broken, all you have to do is click on the address bar and press enter, as if you were typing the url in.

7. May 4, 2009 #6

diazona

Homework Helper

choob is actually right, you have to do something like copying and pasting the URL instead of just following the link. The site is probably trying to prevent direct linking.

Anyway, the PDF file doesn't change anything - there is no analytic solution. You would need to use a graphing calculator or a computer to find the answer. (There's probably some sort of series expansion trick or something you could use to get a good approximation by hand)

8. May 5, 2009 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

If it's 4/3 * sin(theta) = theta you can find one pretty obvious solution.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. Jun 18, 2009 #8

freeexampapers has had a lot of bandwidth problems. We welcome direct linking and plan to have enough bandwidth to allow this.

10. Jun 18, 2009 #9

Hi Cyosis ! I took some time looking and pondering of the possible solution and i could not figure it out , I hope you can provide me of the partial solution. Thank you.

11. Jun 18, 2009 #10

Can somebody explain what's the task?

12. Jun 18, 2009 #11

solve for theta

13. Jun 18, 2009 #12

i tried using maclaurin's series and i manage to work out with the answer of 1.28 but i guess it is rather tedious.

14. Jun 18, 2009 #13

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well you could use the Newton-Raphson iterative method and find an approximation.

15. Jun 18, 2009 #14

Yes indeed Newton Raphson method can solve and it is similar to taylor'series.
    Is there any other method to solve this question algebraically?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  16. Jun 19, 2009 #15

Mentallic

Homework Helper

No.
    Yes, I was also quite dissappointed to hear that such a simple result such as the one you have presented has no means of being algebraically solved; but what can you do...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook