1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve for height?

1. Apr 6, 2007 #1
    I am confused as to how i solve for height in this problem. I can solve for the distance up the ramp the ball goes but not for the height above the ground.

The problem states: A steel ball has a mass of 45 grams and a diameter of 2.2 cm. The ball is moving and rolling at an initial velocity (not known) when it starts rolling up a 35 degree ramp and comes to a stop after turning 12 revolutions.

I solved for how far up the ramp the ball went by taking the 12 rev *2π rad * .011m /1 rev / 2π rad and got .132m.

I have looked at all the equations that i have but can't figure out how to solve for how high the ball goes up?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

right triangles

You have the angle of the ramp. Consider it as a right triangle--what trig relationships might relate height to distance up the ramp (which is the hypotenuse)?

4. Apr 6, 2007 #3
    thanks....i knew it was something very simple that i was missing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?