Solve for v: "How to Solve for v with Theta, g, and x

• Thread starter marthkiki
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for the clarification.In summary, theta is 45, x is 30, g is 9.81 m/sec^2, and v is -86612.49.
marthkiki

Homework Statement

theta = tan^-1 {{v^2 - [v^4-g(gx^2)]}^1/2}/gx
I know that x is 30, theta is 45, g is 9.81 m/sec^2.
I'm trying to solve for v.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten all the way down to
v^2 = (v^4-86612.49)^1/2 + 4.165
What do I do from here?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
marthkiki said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten all the way down to
v^2 = (v^4-86612.49)^1/2 + 4.165
What do I do from here?

you'll need to re-write it as

v2 - 4.165= (v4-86612.49)1/2

then square both sides and solve. You may need to use a numerical method. You'll need to test your solutions as squaring both sides might give you false answers.

Once you square it you will be left with only 1 V term. It may be easier to replace your constants with variables. Then just substitute them in once you find V.

How "only 1 V term"? There will be [itex]v^4[/itex] and [itex]v^2[/itex] terms but then you can let [itex]u= v^2[/itex] and will have a quadratic to solve for u.

rock.freak667 said:
you'll need to re-write it asv2 - 4.165= (v4-86612.49)1/2

then square both sides and solve. You may need to use a numerical method. You'll need to test your solutions as squaring both sides might give you false answers.

By squaring both sides, I get v^2 - 17.35 = v^4 - 86612.49.
That gets me -17.35 = -86612.49.
Is this what you mean by a false answer?

HallsofIvy said:
How "only 1 V term"? There will be [itex]v^4[/itex] and [itex]v^2[/itex] terms but then you can let [itex]u= v^2[/itex] and will have a quadratic to solve for u.

If i do that, I end up with u = v2 + 416.2
then the discriminant will end up negative leaving me with an imaginary velocity. Did I do this correctly?

If i do that, I end up with x = 86612.49 and y = 4.165. I then end up with v^4 - y^2 = v^4 - x, which again gets me to -y^2=x.

v^2 -4.165 = (v^4-86612.49)^1/2
[tex] v^2 - x = (v^4-y)^{1/2} [/tex]
[tex] v^4 - 2v^2x + x^2=v^4-y[/tex]
[tex] -2v^2x + x^2=-y[/tex]
[tex] v=\sqrt{\frac{x^2+y}{2x}}[/tex]
there u go

marthkiki said:
By squaring both sides, I get v^2 - 17.35 = v^4 - 86612.49.
The left-hand side is not squared properly. The left hand side should be [itex](v^2 - 17.35)^2 = v^4 - 2(17.35)v^2 + (17.35)^2[/itex]. The v4's will then cancel and you will be left with a quadratic in v. You will need to check the two answers you get, as squaring both sides of an equation introduces new solutions that may not solve the original equation. Ie., x = -1 and x2 = 1, which introduces the solution x = 1.

Thank you so much!
I get it now. I totally squared the left wrong.

What is v and why do we need to solve for it?

Velocity (v) is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. In order to accurately describe the motion of an object, we need to determine its velocity. This is especially important in physics and other scientific fields where understanding an object's motion is crucial.

What is Theta and how does it relate to v?

Theta (θ) is the angle at which an object is launched or projected. In the context of solving for v, theta is often used in equations that involve projectile motion. The value of theta is important in determining the initial velocity of a projectile.

What is g and why is it included in the equation?

g is the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value of 9.8 m/s² on Earth. It is included in the equation because it affects the rate at which an object falls or accelerates due to gravity. In other words, g is a crucial factor in determining an object's velocity.

How do we use x in the equation to solve for v?

x represents the displacement or distance an object has traveled. It is often used in equations involving projectile motion to determine the horizontal displacement of an object. By using x in the equation, we can solve for v and determine the object's velocity at a specific point in its motion.

What are the steps to solve for v using Theta, g, and x?

The first step is to identify the given values for theta, g, and x. Then, plug these values into the appropriate equation, such as v = √(gx/2sinθ). Finally, solve for v using algebraic manipulations. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct equation for the given scenario.