Can you solve for x in this equation?

• Thread starter DLxX
  • Start date
In summary, to solve for x in the given equation 4x^2 + x = 0, you need to factor out the common factor 'x' from both terms. This leaves you with the equation x(4x + 1) = 0. To find the values of x that make this equation equal to 0, you need to set each factor equal to 0. This gives you x = 0 and 4x + 1 = 0. Solving for x, you get the values 0, -1/4, and -0.25. The quadratic formula can also be used to solve for x.
DLxX
How do I solve for x in the following question? I'm pretty sure you have to factor, but how do I solve for x with two x variables?

4x^2 + x = 0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
'x' is a common factor to both terms. Factor it out:

x(4x + 1) = 0

Do you know how to solve it now?

Ummm I am not too sure :grumpy:

Lol.
4x^2 + x = 0
from there, you can take out the x.
so.. x(4x+1)=0 since (that is equilivent to 4x^2 + x = 0 )
so now, you have (x) times (4x+1) equals 0, what do either have to be in order for the equation to equal 0?
0!
so you have x=0 and 4x+1=0
you solve for x, and you get 0,-1/4

0 or -0.25 via the "quadratic formula".

EDIT: Yup I figured it out before I refreshed the page lol. Thanks guys.

1. How do I solve for x in an equation?

To solve for x in an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic properties and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the order of operations when solving for x?

The order of operations when solving for x is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction). This means that you should first simplify any expressions within parentheses, then solve for any exponents, and then move onto multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction in that order.

3. Can I solve for x without using algebra?

In some cases, it is possible to solve for x without using algebra. For example, if the equation is already in the form of "x = number", then the solution is simply the number. However, for more complex equations, algebra is necessary to find the value of x.

4. What do I do if there are multiple x values in an equation?

If there are multiple x values in an equation, you can still solve for x by using algebra to simplify the equation and isolate the variable on one side. In some cases, the equation may have no solution or an infinite number of solutions, which can be determined by checking for consistency in the original equation.

5. How can I check if my solution for x is correct?

To check if your solution for x is correct, you can plug the value of x back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the original equation and the solution for x, and see if they intersect at the correct point.