1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How To Solve It by G. Polya!

1. May 17, 2007 #1
    What does everyone specifically engineers think of this book? I recently bought a used copy and after browsing it I really don't know if its useful or not.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've tried a number of times to get into it. Unfortunately, it just bores me senseless after only a few pages, and I haven't managed to get into the real wisdom it is supposed to contain. I honestly just don't like the "conversational" style of the book.

- Warren
  4. May 17, 2007 #3
    ^you are not the only one.
  5. Jun 9, 2007 #4
    I bought it, hoping it would help me with my Physics degree, although its still on the summer reading "to do" pile, so from what I gather its not too great?
  6. Jun 12, 2007 #5

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That book has appeared in a few premium bookstores - Try looking in Borders Books & Music shops.

Having never read it, I should not say this: but designing a textbook on how to solve problems seems to be too vague as a task or set of tasks for which to write a book. You learn to solve problems through at least a few years of study and subject matter design; including at times collaboration with other problem solvers and problem posers. I believe that fundamental mechanics physics forces some people to become problem solvers. We just learn to think more critically, but specifically what else is happening in our development may not be so clear...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?