How to approach solving for parallel vectors?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the vector equation of a line passing through a given point and parallel to another vector. The method of using the equation r = a + λb, where a is the point vector and b is the parallel vector, was explained. There was also a question on whether the approach was correct and what to do if the question asked for parametric or cartesian equations.
pavadrin
Hi
I’m given a series of problems in which I need to find the vector equation of a line which pass through a given point and are parallel to another vector.
The first problem:
Find a parallel vector to b = 5i-j, and passes through the point with position vector a = 2i+3j
My working:
r = a + λb
= (2i+3j) + λ(5i-j)
= (2+5λ)i + (3-λ)j
From this point onwards I do not have the slightest clue on where to go next, or if what I have done is correct. Could somebody please tell me if what I am doing is correct or incorrect, and if so, the correct way to approach these pesky problems.
Thanks
Pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me so far, unless you need to write it as parametic or cartesian equations :smile:

From this point onwards I do not have the slightest clue on where to go next, or if what I have done is correct. Could somebody please tell me if what I am doing is correct or incorrect, and if so, the correct way to approach these pesky problems.
Thanks

Well that depends on what the question asks :smile: If it just asks for the vector equation of the line, then that's it.

Hi Nikki :D

Hi Pavadrin,

Solving for parallel vectors can be tricky, but your approach is definitely on the right track. The vector equation you have set up is correct, and the next step would be to plug in the given point a = 2i+3j to solve for the value of λ.

r = a + λb
= (2i+3j) + λ(5i-j)
= (2+5λ)i + (3-λ)j

To solve for λ, we can equate the x and y components of the vector equation to the x and y components of the given point. This means setting up the following equations:

2+5λ = x (x-component of the given point)
3-λ = y (y-component of the given point)

From here, we can solve for λ by rearranging the equations:

5λ = x - 2
λ = (x-2)/5

-λ = y - 3
λ = 3-y

Since both equations have the same value for λ, we can set them equal to each other and solve for x and y:

(x-2)/5 = 3-y
x = 15-5y

Now, we can plug in these values for x and y into the vector equation to get the final equation for the parallel vector:

r = (15-5y)i + (3-y)j

I hope this helps you understand the process better. Keep practicing and you'll become a pro at solving for parallel vectors in no time! Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

1. What are parallel vectors?

Parallel vectors are two or more vectors that have the same direction, but not necessarily the same magnitude. This means that they are either pointing in the same direction or in the opposite direction.

2. How do I determine if two vectors are parallel?

To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can use the dot product or cross product. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to zero, then they are perpendicular and not parallel. If the cross product of two vectors is equal to zero, then they are parallel.

3. How do I solve problems involving parallel vectors?

To solve problems involving parallel vectors, you can use the properties of parallel vectors such as the dot product and cross product. You can also use geometric properties such as the angle between two vectors and the magnitude of the vectors.

4. What is the importance of understanding parallel vectors?

Understanding parallel vectors is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and computer graphics. It allows us to accurately describe and analyze the direction and movement of objects in space.

5. Can parallel vectors ever intersect?

No, parallel vectors can never intersect. Since parallel vectors have the same direction, they will never cross paths and will always remain at a constant distance from each other.