1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve Parallel Vectors

1. May 21, 2006 #1
    I’m given a series of problems in which I need to find the vector equation of a line which pass through a given point and are parallel to another vector.
    The first problem:
    Find a parallel vector to b = 5i-j, and passes through the point with position vector a = 2i+3j
    My working:
    r = a + λb
    = (2i+3j) + λ(5i-j)
    = (2+5λ)i + (3-λ)j
    From this point onwards I do not have the slightest clue on where to go next, or if what I have done is correct. Could somebody please tell me if what I am doing is correct or incorrect, and if so, the correct way to approach these pesky problems.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

Gold Member

Looks fine to me so far, unless you need to write it as parametic or cartesian equations :smile:

Well that depends on what the question asks :smile: If it just asks for the vector equation of the line, then thats it.

Hi Nikki :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?