Solving RLC Circuit with Step-by-Step Guide | Circuit Diagram Included

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the current in the circuit after the switch is opened at t=0. The circuit diagram is provided and the initial conditions for the inductor and capacitor are requested. The next step is to write the mesh equation and solve for the second order differential equation. The final step is to substitute the initial conditions in order to find the solution for i(t).
ay.megaraptor
1. The switch in the circuit shown in Figure has been closed for a long time
before t = 0 but opened at t = 0. Solve for i(t) for t ≥ 0.

*Hereby I attached the circuit diagram for the question above.

And this is where I got so far.
(6ohm+6ohm)=12ohm
alpha=R/2L
= 4 Neper.
But then I don't know how to solve for the rest.

Attachments

• The Circuit.doc
    45 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We don't do homework for you. You must show some effort in order to get some help.
What were the current in the inductor and the voltage at the capacitor before the opening of the key. These are the initial conditions for your circuit.
Write the mesh equation for the circuit after the opening. You will have a second order differential equation.
Solve the differential equation and substitute the initial conditions.

I would like to commend you for taking the initiative to solve this RLC circuit and providing a step-by-step guide. It shows your dedication and problem-solving skills.

To solve for i(t) for t ≥ 0, we first need to analyze the circuit and determine the values of the components. Looking at the circuit diagram, we can see that there is a 6 ohm resistor, a 6 ohm inductor, and a capacitor with an unknown capacitance. We also know that the switch has been closed for a long time before t = 0, and then opened at t = 0.

Next, we can use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit and determine the equations that govern it. Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop must equal zero. Applying this law to the circuit, we can write the following equation:

6i(t) + 6i'(t) + v(t) = 0

Where i(t) is the current flowing through the inductor, i'(t) is the current flowing through the resistor, and v(t) is the voltage across the capacitor.

We can also use Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of all currents flowing into a node must equal zero. Applying this law to the node between the inductor and the resistor, we can write the following equation:

i(t) + i'(t) = 0

Now, we need to solve these equations to determine the values of i(t) and i'(t). We can do this by using Laplace transforms, which is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. Applying the Laplace transform to the equations above, we get:

6I(s) + 6sI(s) + V(s) = 0

I(s) + sI(s) = 0

Where I(s) is the Laplace transform of i(t) and V(s) is the Laplace transform of v(t). Solving these equations, we get:

I(s) = -V(s)/12s

Substituting this into the second equation, we get:

-V(s)/12s + s(-V(s)/12s) = 0

V(s) = 12sV(s)

V(s) = 12s^2V(s)

This is a second-order differential equation, which can be solved using standard methods

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These three components are connected in either series or parallel and are used to control the flow of electric current in a circuit.

2. How do you solve an RLC circuit?

To solve an RLC circuit, you will need to use the principles of Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, and the formulas for calculating the impedance of each component. You will also need to use complex numbers and phasor diagrams to account for the phase differences between the voltage and current in the circuit.

3. What is the resonance frequency of an RLC circuit?

The resonance frequency of an RLC circuit is the frequency at which the reactance of the inductor and capacitor cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. The formula for calculating the resonance frequency is fr = 1/(2π√(LC)).

4. How does changing the values of R, L, and C affect the behavior of an RLC circuit?

Changing the values of R, L, and C can affect the behavior of an RLC circuit in various ways. For example, increasing the resistance will decrease the current and the voltage, while increasing the inductance will increase the phase difference between the current and voltage. Changing the capacitance will also affect the impedance of the circuit at different frequencies.

5. What are the practical applications of RLC circuits?

RLC circuits have many practical applications in electronic devices, including radio tuners, filters, and oscillators. They are also used in power transmission and distribution systems to control the flow of current and voltage. RLC circuits are also commonly used in electrical engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of electrical circuits.