Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve space-time variation in the ocean?

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1

vdv

Hi all,

I m not a physicist but a biological oceanographer. I would like to know how should I consider space-time variations of tiny cells in the ocean? Usually people deal with space and time separately but do not compute the data over a space-time scale (which I believe is important especially in regards to the continuous movement of the water in the ocean). Each data point of my data set correspond to a specific location sampled at a specific time, I have data for 6 locations (of a particular region) and 6 time-periods (months), and would like to know the evolution of my tiny cells over a space-time frame. What kind of formula should I apply? How would you approach this problem?

Many thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cell simulations are similar to iterative finite element methods. They are a branch of bioinformatics. There should be a lot of papers on this. And even some commercial software.

The simplest form is this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook