How to solve the equation 3^2x+1 = 3^x + 24, do I need logarithms

• Thread starter repugno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation using logarithms. The equation is 3^2x+1 = 3^x + 24 and the participants discuss how to approach the problem using different methods. The solution is eventually found by using the base 3 in the logarithm.
repugno
Greetings all, I have a slight problem solving this equation ... 3^2x+1 = 3^x + 24

I know I can solve it with logs but I'm just not sure where to begin. I have tried taking logarithms both sides but it didn't work :confused:

Perhaps someone could give me a clue :biggrin:

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the work you've done so far?

cookiemonster

Sure...

3^2x+1 = 3^x + 24

(2x+1)lg3 = xlg3 + lg24

(2x+1)lg3/lg3 = xlg3/lg3 + lg24/lg3

2x+1 = x + 2.89

x = 1.89

This is obviously wrong.

Be careful with log (3^x + 24).

In general, log(a + b) does not equal log(a) + log(b).

And you need to be careful with your notation. I first read the problem as 3^(2x) + 1 = 3^x + 24. Those darned parentheses!

cookiemonster

32x+1 = 3x + 24

Can you show that 32x+1 = 3*32x? Can you show that 3*(32x) = 3*(3x)2? Now what kind of equation do you get if you let t = 3x?

Thank you very much for your help.

These logarithms is not my good friend unfortunitaly, it is either that or I'm missing a fundamental point.

[itex] log_3x - 2log_x3 = 1 [/itex]

I don't understand how to solve this, I know the rules of logarithms but they don't seem to be much help here. Can anyone help me please.

Thanks

You might find this useful

[tex]\log_b a = \frac{\ln a}{\ln b}[/tex]

cookiemonster

More generally:

[tex]\log_b a = \frac{\log_c a}{\log_c b}[/tex]

Where c is whatever number you want (cookiemonster chose c = e, resulting in natural logs). For the problem above you might want to pick c = 3.

It worked ! Thanks for the help yet again. One question though, how did you come to the conclusion that I should take the base as 3?

You started with this:

[itex] log_3x - 2log_x3 = 1 [/itex]

Using ln you would have gotten:

[itex] \frac{\ln x}{\ln 3} - 2\frac{\ln 3}{\ln x} = 1 [/itex]

And just get stuck with ln(3). However, using 3 as the base you can get:

[itex] \frac{\log_3 x}{\log_3 3} - 2\frac{\log_3 3}{\log_3 x} = 1 [/itex]

And of course log3(3) = 1 and it's much easier to handle:

[itex]\log_3 x - \frac{2}{\log_3 x} = 1 [/itex]

Obviously you would still get the same answer with both methods, I just thought it would be slightly easier to solve when using base 3. :smile:

1. What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step in solving this equation would be to rewrite it in the form of "base^exponent". In this case, it would be 3^(2x+1) = 3^x + 24.

2. Do I need logarithms to solve this equation?

Yes, logarithms are necessary for solving this equation. This is because the variable, x, is present in both the base and exponent of the terms, making it difficult to solve algebraically without using logarithms.

3. How do I use logarithms to solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you would need to take the logarithm of both sides using the same base. In this case, we can use the common base of 3. This will allow us to bring down the exponents and simplify the equation to solve for x.

4. Can I use a different base for the logarithms?

Yes, you can use a different base for the logarithms. However, using the same base as the original equation will make the solving process simpler and more efficient.

5. Are there any other methods for solving this equation?

Yes, there are other methods for solving this equation such as using the change of base formula or using a graphing calculator. However, using logarithms is the most common and efficient method for solving this type of equation.