How to solve the integral which has limits from (1,2) to (2,4)

In summary, the conversation is about selecting a value for lambda and finding the scalar potential function for a given integrand. The participants discuss different methods and approaches for finding the potential function and provide resources for help. In the end, one participant shares their potential function, but it is pointed out that it is incorrect and the correct approach is explained.
requied
Homework Statement
Evaluate the integral below
Relevant Equations
there is no equations(?)
I have a question like this;

1590372723923.png

I selected lambda as 4 (I actually don't know what it must be) and try to make clear to myself like

1590372920304.png

these limits (1,2) and (2,4) is x and y locations I think :)
If I find an answer for part one of the integral following, I would apply this on another:

1590373148964.png

My solution was :

1590373410535.png

I wonder whether it is correct. If it is not, how must I imagine?
Note: If there is someone who has an idea about original question, please leave a comment. I appreciate it :)

Attachments

• 1590372895040.png
    1590372895040.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 1590372898590.png
    1590372898590.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 112
Physics news on Phys.org
requied said:
Homework Statement:: Evaluate the integral below
Relevant Equations:: there is no equations(?)

I have a question like this;

View attachment 263435
I selected lambda as 4 (I actually don't know what it must be) and try to make clear to myself like
You must select lambda so as the integral is path-independent, that is the integrand is exact differential .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_differential

ehild said:
You must select lambda so as the integral is path-independent, that is the integrand is exact differential .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exact_differential
I glanced the link and knew the drill. But I didn't find u -the scalar potential- of ## \ F = (\frac{xy+1}{y},\frac{2y-x}{y^2})##.(so λ =1) I'll really appreciate it if someone calculate the u. I think it is not such difficult to someone who knows the progress. The problem is I am learning these things recently, but it's just a homework we didn't learn the subject before 'corona' and the university teacher has just gave us. These subjects are for just this semester

requied said:
I glanced the link and knew the drill. But I didn't find u -the scalar potential- of ## \ F = (\frac{xy+1}{y},\frac{2y-x}{y^2})##.(so λ =1)
You know the partial derivatives of the desired potential function: ##\partial _x u = \frac{xy+1}{y}## and ##\partial _y u = \frac{2y-x}{y^2}##.
Integrate the partial derivatives; the first one with respect to x, the second one with respect to y. The integration "constant" is an y function in the first case, and an x function in the second case.
$$u=\int{\frac{xy+1}{y}dx} +f(y)$$
and
$$u=\int{\frac{2y-x}{y^2}dy} +g(x)$$
The two expressions for u must be identical: choose f(y) and g(x) accordingly.

1591643484652.png

I chose second one and found the answer like this. Idk whether it is incorrect. So I'll try for the first one for the same logic, I'll see if it will get the same answer.

Edit: from first one, because of there is no natural logarithmic situation, we can't get ln2 or something

1591643537597.png

What about this? it's just another ostentatious way I think.
Note it's not about my question, just an example.

requied said:
View attachment 264337
I chose second one and found the answer like this. Idk whether it is incorrect. So I'll try for the first one for the same logic, I'll see if it will get the same answer.

Edit: from first one, because of there is no natural logarithmic situation, we can't get ln2 or something
I do not understand what you did.You can get u(x,y) by integrating the second partial derivative with respect to y. Then determine the function g(x) by taking the partial derivative of u(x,y) with respect to x and make it identical to x+1/y.

ehild said:
You can get u(x,y) by integrating the second partial derivative with respect to y. Then determine the function g(x) by taking the partial derivative of u(x,y) with respect to x and make it identical to x+1/y.
I did what you said at #9. Can you check out that for me?

Your answer is not correct as you can verify that for your ##\phi##, ##\phi_x = P,~\phi_y = Q## fails. The problem is you have an extra ##\frac x y## in your answer. You really need to read the link I mentioned in post #7. In particular the last example.

requied said:
I found the potential function u like this:
View attachment 264368

I don't know why but it seems correct to me.
No, it is wrong. You just took the sum of the two integrals. Why?
When integrating, you have to include a constant. In this case, the integral with respect x has a "constant" that does depend on y. When integrating with respect y, the constant depends on x.
1591727046669.png

The two ##\Phi(x,y) ## functions must be identical:
x^2/2+x/y+f(y)=2ln(y)+x/y+g(x)
What should be f(x) and g(y) so as the last equation is true?

Likes Delta2

1. How do I determine the limits of integration for an integral?

The limits of integration are determined by the given problem or by the context of the problem. In this case, the limits are from 1 to 2 for the lower bound and from 2 to 4 for the upper bound.

2. What are the steps to solve an integral with given limits?

The steps to solve an integral with given limits are as follows:
1. Identify the function to be integrated.
2. Determine the limits of integration.
3. Use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the integral.
4. Evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.
5. Check the answer for correctness.

3. Can I change the order of the limits of integration?

Yes, the order of the limits of integration can be changed without affecting the result of the integral. However, it is important to keep track of the sign change when switching the limits.

4. How do I know if I need to use a specific integration technique?

The choice of integration technique depends on the complexity of the integrand. If the integrand can be simplified by a certain technique, then it should be used. Otherwise, any technique that works for the given problem can be used.

5. Is there a specific formula for solving integrals with given limits?

There is no specific formula for solving integrals with given limits. The method for solving the integral depends on the integrand and the given limits. However, the fundamental theorem of calculus is a general formula that can be used to evaluate integrals with given limits.