Limit Solving Strategies for Non-L'Hôpital's Rule Problems

• Thread starter shalikadm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
By the way, what's the definition of derivative of a function?\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} as cos π/4 or sin π/4 ?\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}= \sin{\frac{\pi}{4}} = \cos{\frac{\pi}{4}}And what is cot(x)?Ah, ok. I was just checking because it's not clear in the original problem. So, just take f(y)?I don't know..never came across derivatives yet...I am currently studying limits only.Would you like me to explain what is derivative of a function?I don't know..never came across derivatives yet...I am currently studying limits
shalikadm

Homework Statement

Find the limits of the following
148lrc.png

Homework Equations

We can't use L'Hôpital's rule as it's not in our syllabus.We have to use only
263d79g.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted a lot but can't find a way to solve these three (out of about 80 limits)
pls show me the steps to get these without L'Hôpital's as Wolfram Alpha give steps in that law...

Physics news on Phys.org
Mind showing us your attempts first?
Nobody will help you if you don't show your efforts.

Just to give you a start for the first question, can you make it of the form 1?

The first one is [itex]\infty \cdot 0[/itex], and can be converted to an indeterminate form [itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] by representing [itex]\tan x = \frac{1}{\cot x}[/itex]. Then, apply L'Hospital's Rule to:
[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow \pi/2}{\frac{\ln (\sin x)}{\cot x}}
[/tex]
Remember to use chain rule when finding the derivatives.

EDIT: Ah, you can't apply LR. Take [itex]t \equiv \ln(\sin x), x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow t \rightarrow ?[/itex]. Then [itex]\sin x = e^{t}[/itex]. Use trigonometry to express [itex]\cot x[/itex].

Pranav-Arora said:
can you make it of the form 1?
No idea about 1 form..

Dickfore said:
EDIT: Ah, you can't apply LR. Take [itex]t \equiv \ln(\sin x), x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow t \rightarrow ?[/itex]. Then [itex]\sin x = e^{t}[/itex]. Use trigonometry to express [itex]\cot x[/itex].

log(sinx)=log10sinx or log(sinx)=logesinx ?

shalikadm said:
log(sinx)=log10sinx or log(sinx)=logesinx ?

Hey, it's your problem. You tell me. The solution changes very little regardless of the base of the lograrithm.

Dickfore said:
Hey, it's your problem. You tell me. The solution changes very little regardless of the base of the lograrithm.
It was given in that way...don't know whether the base is e or 10...
So I googled and found some saying log(x) is normally log10(x) if not given...
So much stuck one this three sums...

Ok, let's say it's base a. Then [itex]t = \log_{a} (\sin x)[/itex]. When [itex]x \rightarrow \pi/2[/itex] we still have [itex]t \rightarrow 0[/itex]. When you take the antilogarithm, you have [itex]\sin x = a^{t}[/itex]. Now, express cot in terms of sin.

EDIT:
Scratch that!

As post #2 had suggested, notice the following:
[tex]
\tan x \, \log_{a}(\sin x) = \log_{a}{\left[ (\sin x)^{\tan x} \right]} = \log_{a}{\left[ (\sin x)^{\frac{1}{\cot{x}}} \right]}
[/tex]

Express all the trigonometric functions in terms of cos (I will tell you why when you do it)!

Last edited:
Dickfore said:
Ok, let's say it's base a. Then [itex]t = \log_{a} (\sin x)[/itex]. When [itex]x \rightarrow \pi/2[/itex] we still have [itex]t \rightarrow 0[/itex]. When you take the antilogarithm, you have [itex]\sin x = a^{t}[/itex].

Dickfore said:
Now, express cot in terms of sin
let's take a=10
cotx=√(cosec2x-1)
cotx=√(10-2t-1)
so we get the limit as ,
lim( t->0){t/√(10-2t-1)}
then how to proceed ?

see my edit of the post.

Dickfore said:
[itex]
\tan x \, \log_{a}(\sin x) = \log_{a}{\left[ (\sin x)^{\tan x} \right]} = \log_{a}{\left[ (\sin x)^{\frac{1}{\cot{x}}} \right]}
[/itex]

Express all the trigonometric functions in terms of cos (I will tell you why when you do it)!

sinx=√1-cos2x
secx=1/cosx
cosecx=1/√1-cos2x
tanx=√1-cos2x/cosx
cotx= cosx/√1-cos2x
So what ?

So, what does the logarithm look like?

No xp with latex sorry...I have no idea brother !
Pls explain !

spends a lot to type Latex...It cost my time and yours

[tex]
\log_{a} { \left[ (1 - \cos^2 x)^{\frac{\sqrt{1 - \cos^2 x}}{2 \, \cos x}} \right]}
[/tex]
Now, take [itex]t = -\cos^2 x \Rightarrow \cos x = \sqrt{-t}[/itex] to get:
[tex]
\log_{a} {\left[ (1 + t)^{\frac{\sqrt{1 + t}}{2 \, \sqrt{-t}}} \right]} = \log_{a}{\left[ (1 + t)^{\frac{1}{t} \, \frac{\sqrt{-t(1 +t)}}{2}}\right]}
[/tex]

Do you know the limit
[tex]
\lim_{t \rightarrow 0}(1 + t)^{\frac{1}{t}} = ?
[/tex]

If you do, my work here is almost done.

Dickfore said:
Do you know the limit
[tex]
\lim_{t \rightarrow 0}(1 + t)^{\frac{1}{t}} =?
[/tex]

If you do, my work here is almost done.

(1+0)1/0=1[itex]\infty[/itex]=[itex]\infty[/itex] ?

shalikadm said:

No. Aren't you taught any standard limits or basic formulas?

Pranav-Arora said:
No. Aren't you taught any standard limits or basic formulas?
No..only these two are available in our coursework..
263d79g.jpg

Nothing like following in ours
[itex]
\lim_{t \rightarrow 0}(1 + t)^{\frac{1}{t}}
[/itex]

shalikadm said:
No..only these two are available in our coursework..
263d79g.jpg

Nothing like following in ours
[itex]
\lim_{t \rightarrow 0}(1 + t)^{\frac{1}{t}}
[/itex]

Then, i suggest you to ask your teacher to tell you some more because you will frequently require them.
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0} (1+x)^{\frac{1}{x}}=e[/tex]
Solving this limit requires use logarithmic properties.

EDIT: Woot! 700 posts.

Pranav-Arora said:
Then, i suggest you to ask your teacher to tell you some more because you will frequently require them.
That's what I'm gong to do next..
Anyway what about the other two limits ?
[2] and [3] ?

Pranav-Arora said:
EDIT: Woot! 700 posts.
congratz !

EDIT: Woot! 37 posts.

Last edited:
I don't know about [2] but i can help you out with [3].

What is [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]? Can you write it in a trigonometric form?
And expand cot(x) as cos(x)/sin(x).

For (2), since x->a, which is unknown constant, the limit does not give you any indeterminate messy form, so all you need to do is substitute x=a.

Infinitum said:
For (2), since x->a, which is unknown constant, the limit does not give you any indeterminate messy form, so all you need to do is substitute x=a.

Oh yes, that's the thing i came across in [2] .
@shalikadm: Is the [2] question correct? Just check it once again from where you got it.

Infinitum said:

Pranav-Arora said:
Oh yes, that's the thing i came across in [2] .
@shalikadm: Is the [2] question correct? Just check it once again from where you got it.

OMG..sorry...it's not x to a ,but x to 0...sorry

Pranav-Arora said:
What is [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]? Can you write it in a trigonometric form?
And expand cot(x) as cos(x)/sin(x).

[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] as cos π/4 or sin π/4 ?

shalikadm said:
OMG..sorry...it's not x to a ,but x to 0...sorry

Do you know the definition of derivative of a function in limit form? Question (2) is the simple definition of derivative of f(y) in that form. All you need to do is find what f(y) is and then find f'(y).

Infinitum said:
Do you know the definition of derivative of a function in limit form? Question (2) is the simple definition of derivative of f(y) in that form. All you need to do is find what f(y) is and then find f'(y).

urgh..then its the derivative of ysec(y)...so then ?
Is it the answer ?-ysec(y) ?

shalikadm said:
urgh..then its the derivative of ysec(y)...so then ?
Is it the answer ?-ysec(y) ?

Yes, the answer is the derivative of y*sec(y). But you need to apply product rule while differentiating this function!

Infinitum said:
Yes, the answer is the derivative of y*sec(y). But you need to apply product rule while differentiating this function!

We have not such rule in Limits but in differential calculus we were taught,
y=f(x)g(x)
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=g(x)f'(x)+f(x)g'(x)

shalikadm said:
We have not such rule in Limits but in differential calculus we were taught,
y=f(x)g(x)
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=g(x)f'(x)+f(x)g'(x)

Exactly. Use this rule to differentiate y*sec(y), that's the answer you are looking for!

what about the [3] one?

shalikadm said:
what about the [3] one?

Convert [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] into [itex]cos(\frac{\pi}{4})[/itex], and apply the formula that changes the difference of two trigonometric terms into their product. In the denominator, after writing cot in terms of cos and sin, try getting a single trigonometric ratio and simplify.

thanks Infinitum and Pranav-Arora...Successfully solved the 2nd and 3rd limits..I'm going to ask about 1st one from a teacher...thanks for the help !

What is the definition of "Limit Solving Strategies for Non-L'Hôpital's Rule Problems"?

"Limit Solving Strategies for Non-L'Hôpital's Rule Problems" refers to a set of methods and techniques used to solve limits in calculus that cannot be solved using L'Hôpital's Rule.

Why is it important to have strategies for solving limits without using L'Hôpital's Rule?

L'Hôpital's Rule is a powerful tool for solving limits, but it can only be applied to certain types of functions. Having alternative strategies for solving limits allows for a wider range of problems to be solved in calculus.

What are some common strategies used for solving limits without using L'Hôpital's Rule?

Some common strategies include factoring, simplifying, using trigonometric identities, and applying algebraic manipulations such as multiplying by the conjugate.

How do I know which strategy to use for a specific limit problem?

The strategy used for solving a limit problem will depend on the specific function and the type of indeterminate form it presents. It is important to understand the properties of different types of functions and to practice applying various strategies to different types of problems.

Are there any limitations to using limit solving strategies for non-L'Hôpital's Rule problems?

While limit solving strategies for non-L'Hôpital's Rule problems can be effective in solving a wide range of limits, there may be some cases where L'Hôpital's Rule is the only method that can be used. It is important to be familiar with both L'Hôpital's Rule and alternative strategies for solving limits in order to be successful in calculus.