Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A How to solve this DE?

1. Dec 29, 2016 #1
    I am currently trying to solve this differential equation:

r2/F(r) d2F(r)/dr2 + 2mr2/h2(E + Zt2/kr) - a2 = 0

Wher m, h, E, Z, t and k are other variables and 'a' can have values 1, 2, 3, 4..... (Whole numbers)

I have come across this while solving a problem in physics and have no clue if this even has a solution.
    Any help will be appreciated greatly.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2016 #2
    If your equation is given by ( please please please learn to tex )
    $$ \frac{r^2}{f(r)} \frac{d^2 f(r)}{dr^2} + \frac{2mr^2}{h^2}\left(E + \frac{zt^2}{kr}\right) -a^2 = 0 $$
    Then you can rewrite to
    $$ \left( \frac{d^2}{dr^2} + \frac{2mE}{h^2} + \frac{2mzt^2}{h^2 kr} - \frac{a^2}{r^2} \right) f(r) = 0 $$
    Which is pretty close to the Whittaker equation ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittaker_function ).

4. Dec 29, 2016 #3

Ssnow

Gold Member

This is a second order differential equation, you can rewrite it as:

##\frac{d^2}{dr^2}F(r)+ \left[\frac{2m}{h^2}\left(E-\frac{h^2a^2}{2mr^2} + \frac{Zt^2}{kr}\right)\right]F(r) =0##

calling ##a(r)=\frac{2m}{h^2}\left(E-\frac{h^2a^2}{2mr^2} + \frac{Zt^2}{kr}\right)## we have that

##\frac{d^2}{dr^2}F(r)+ a(r)\cdot F(r) =0##

to solve this DE you must find a particular solution in order to find the general ...

5. Jan 4, 2017 #4
    The solutions to this equation are called Coulomb wave functions. You can also write the solution in terms of confluent hypergeometric functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted