1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this definite integral?

1. May 1, 2014 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Integrate:[tex]I=\int_{-π/4}^{π/4} \ln{(\sec θ-\tan θ)}\,dθ[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Properties of definite integrals, basic integration formulae, trigonometric identities.

3. The attempt at a solution
    By properties of definite integrals, the same integral I wrote as equivalent to[tex]I=\int_{-π/4}^{π/4} \ln{(\sec θ+\tan θ)}\,dθ[/tex].
    Because[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)\,dx=\int_{a}^{b} f(a+b-x)\,dx[/tex](replacing θ by π/4-π/4-θ) Now, I think of adding these two integrals to form an equation and solving for [itex]I[/itex] but I'm messing up. Am I doing wrong? Is there any better/easy way?
    Thanks for your time and help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2014 #2
    What do you get if you add them? It's quite obvious.

Instead, you can notice that the integrand is an odd function, do you see why?

4. May 1, 2014 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

I tried that at first but I couldn't come to a decision, I can't see if it's odd or even. The secant is an even function right?

5. May 1, 2014 #4
    Yes, secant is an even function.

Define ##f(\theta)=\ln\left(\sec\theta-\tan\theta\right)##. Hence, ##f(-\theta)=\ln\left(\sec\theta+\tan\theta\right)##. What do you get if you add ##f(\theta)## and ##f(-\theta)##? Please show the attempt.

6. May 1, 2014 #5

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

It's [itex]ln(1)=0[/itex]

7. May 1, 2014 #6
    Right!

So ##f(\theta)+f(-\theta)=0##. Do you see why it is an odd function? :)

8. May 1, 2014 #7

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Ahh.. I get it right now Pranav, thanks a lot! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted