1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this differential equation?

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume NA = NAo exp(-t/a)

Solve the differential equation:

dNB/dt + NB/b = NA/a

2. Relevant equations

differential equations

3. The attempt at a solution

trial function: NB = C exp(-t/a) + D exp (-t/b)

with initial condition: C + D = NBo

I tried plugging in this and NA into the original equation, but was not able to solve for C or D...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Show us what you got because what you described should work.

Note that the D term will vanish when you plug it in because it's the solution to the homogeneous differential equation. This allows you to solve for C.

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    Unfortunately I don't really have much experience with this kind of differential equation. After I substituted the trial function and C = NB - D into the equation, I got:

[ -(NB-D)/a*exp(-t/a) - D/b*exp(-t/b) ] + [ NB-D/b*exp(-t/a) - D/b*exp(-t/b) ] = NA/a*exp(-t/a)

how would you solve 'D' from this?

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You want to plug the trial function into the differential equation:
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}(C e^{-t/a} + D e^{-t/b}) +\frac{1}{b}(C e^{-t/a} + D e^{-t/b}) = \frac{N_{A_0}}{a} e^{-t/a}[/tex]
    When you differentiate the first term, you'll see the e-t/b terms cancel out, which leaves only the e-t/a terms, allowing you to solve for C. Once you know C, you can solve for D.

6. Sep 27, 2011 #5
    Ok, thanks for the insightful help, vela. This is what I got for NB, with D=NBo-C :

NB = [NAo / (a/b-1)] *exp(-t/a) + [NBo - NAo / (a/b - 1)] *exp(-t/b)

assuming this is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook