Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this equation?

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    Hello All,

Could you please indicate me how to resolve this equation:

ln(y) (x^4 - y^4)+ ln(x) (y^4 - x^4) + (y^2 - x^2)^2 = 0

I am really struggling with it....

Thanks in advance,

C:)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What exactly do you mean by solving it? What do you need to do?

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    Mentallic,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
    I mean, I want to know the value of "X" when "Y=5".

Thanks in advance,

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey CIMP and welcome to the forums.

Do you know about root finding algorithms?

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Then what you're looking for is to solve explicitly for x. However, you can't do that with the use of elementary functions (the usual - addition, multiplication, square roots, powers, trig, exponentials). You will need to find a numeric approximation to the answer.

There are trivial solutions however such as y=x and y=-x, but notice that with logarithms present in the equation, this means you need to restrict x and y to be more than zero, so only y=x, x>0 is a trivial solution.

So, if y=5 then x=5 as well, but that's not the only solution. The others can be found by numeric methods.

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6
    How about this, to get going:

x^4-y^4=-(y^4-x^4)

So you could write (ln(y)-ln(x))(x^4-y^4)+(y^2-x^2)^2=0
    ln(y/x)(x^4-y^4)+(y^2-x^2)^2=0
    ln(y/x)(x^4-y^4)=-(y^2-x^2)^2
    ln(y/x)(x^2-y^2)(x^2+y^2)=-(y^2-x^2)^2
    ln(y/x)(x^2+y^2)=(y^2-x^2)
    ln(y/x)=(y^2-x^2)/R^2

Where R is the distance from the origin.

I don't know if this helps at all- it may give you a better idea of what the graph looks like though :uhh:

8. Sep 14, 2011 #7
    Hello Mentallic,
    Thank you very much for your help. I really could advance more with your explanation. I made a plot as suggested by Jamma, and I could see that the function when X<5 it tend to -infinit and if X>5 it also tends to +infinit.

Hello Jama,
    Thank you very much for your advice. It is vey useful to make a plot of the function before going to more sophisticated things!

Hello Chiro,
    I use Maxima and Matlab and it was the first time that I was looking how to extract the root algoritms with them, but it was quite harder to use it... :bugeye:In fact, I pass all the day of yesterday dealing with that. Then I give up and I ploted the function and it was easy easier to see that it has just one solution when X=5. By lucky!
    But I need to learn how to use the software....

Thanks everybody. I am so happy to be in this forum. Thansk again for your time and help...

CIMP

9. Sep 14, 2011 #8

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Not quite. Even though ln(y/x) is real for x,y<0, the original equation was of the form ln(y)-ln(x) in which case x,y<0 is NOT valid. You need to keep in mind that whatever transformations you do, you only consider the domain of the original function, not your manipulated function.

10. Sep 14, 2011 #9

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Actually, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. It looks to me as if x=5 IS the only solution corresponding to y=5.

11. Sep 14, 2011 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Ahh yes they're in fact double roots. Thanks for spotting it!

[tex]\ln{y}(x^4-y^4)+\ln{x}(y^4-x^4)+(y^2-x^2)^2=0[/tex]

[tex](y^2-x^2)\left(\ln{\frac{1}{y}}(x^2+y^2)+\ln{x}(x^2+y^2)+y^2-x^2\right)=0[/tex]

The first factor corresponds to the roots of [itex]y=\pm x[/itex] thus only [itex]y=x, x>0[/itex] to satisfy the domain, and the second factor is

[tex]\ln{\frac{x}{y}}(x^2+y^2)=x^2-y^2[/tex]

Which gives us the same roots as the other factor, since ln(1)=0.

12. Sep 15, 2011 #11
    Yes! :smile:
    Thanks!!!!

"Mathematics is the language of nature..."

13. Sep 15, 2011 #12
    thanks, i hat the same question

14. Sep 15, 2011 #13
    So we've just solved all your homework for you guys, pfft.

15. Sep 15, 2011 #14

Mentallic

Homework Helper

CIMP, in the future, please post your questions in the homework help section.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook