Learn How to Solve Equations: Tips and Tricks for Accurate Results

• Thread starter mit11
  • Start date
In summary, an equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between quantities using symbols and numbers. The process for solving an equation involves isolating the variable on one side using inverse operations and applying the same operation to maintain equality. Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other. The rules for solving equations include performing the same operation on both sides, isolating the variable, and simplifying until the variable is left alone. If the equation has fractions or decimals, it is important to eliminate them by multiplying both sides by the LCM of the denominators.
mit11
I tried to solve this equation. can anyone please look at this and tell me if this is correct? If not help me out please.

5lrpg3.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find out whether it is correct by subtituting it back into the equation. I think it doesn't quite work out the final answer seems still to be dependent on r.

In the second line you are suddenly missing a term from the product rule.

What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more quantities using symbols and numbers.

What is the process for solving an equation?

The process for solving an equation involves isolating the variable on one side of the equation using inverse operations and applying the same operation to both sides of the equation to maintain equality.

What are inverse operations?

Inverse operations are mathematical operations that undo each other, such as addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, or squaring and taking the square root.

What are the rules for solving equations?

The rules for solving equations include performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, isolating the variable on one side, and simplifying both sides of the equation until the variable is left alone.

What should I do if the equation has fractions or decimals?

If the equation has fractions or decimals, it is important to eliminate them by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common multiple (LCM) of the denominators.