Step-by-Step Guide: Solving Equations with Multiple Variables"

• Thread starter electron5
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of equations with 3 equations and 5 unknowns. The equations involve masses, gravity, and tension. The solution is not clear as there are not enough equations to give a unique solution. The conversation also suggests that the question may be related to Newton's second law and solving systems of linear equations.
electron5
How to solve this equation step by step?

m1a1 = m1g - T
-m2a2 = m2g - 2T
a1 = 2a2

How to solve a1, a2 and T?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi electron5. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

It looks like you have 3 equations in 5 unknowns, is that correct?

What would you consider as "the solution" to that? Usually, if you need to solve for 5 unknowns you'll need 5 equations to give that unique solution.

Better explain what you are trying to do, and where these came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi electron5. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

It looks like you have 3 equations in 5 unknowns, is that correct?

What would you consider as "the solution" to that? Usually, if you need to solve for 5 unknowns you'll need 5 equations to give that unique solution.

Better explain what you are trying to do, and where these came from.

Since this is an introductory physics question I'd guess it is, from looking at it, one of the basic Newtons second law type questions, where m1 and m2 are known, so really it's three equations with three unknowns!

And to the OP, how do you usually solve systems of linear equations?
How would you solve the system;
x + 2y = 25
2 x +y = 20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I know which method to use to solve an equation?

The method used to solve an equation depends on the type of equation you are dealing with. For linear equations, you can use methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. For quadratic equations, you can use factoring, completing the square, or the quadratic formula. It's important to identify the type of equation first before choosing a method.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations, but it's important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation manually. Calculators can be helpful in checking your work or for solving complex equations, but it's always recommended to solve equations by hand to fully understand the concept.

3. What do I do if I encounter fractions or decimals in an equation?

If you encounter fractions or decimals in an equation, you can first try to simplify them by finding common factors or converting them to a common denominator. If the equation becomes too complex, you can also multiply both sides of the equation by the common denominator to eliminate the fractions or decimals.

4. How do I check if my solution is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by substituting the value you found back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the solution.

5. Can equations have more than one solution?

Yes, equations can have more than one solution, depending on the type of equation. Linear equations typically have one solution, while quadratic equations can have two solutions or none at all. It's important to check the solutions you find to see if they satisfy the original equation.