How to Solve Equations with Positive Integer Solutions?

• Thread starter aravindsubramanian
  • Start date
In summary, x^2-y^2+ax-by = c. If a,b,c are known, x and y can be found by completing the square and solving for x and y.
aravindsubramanian
I need to solve this kind of equqtions

[tex]x^2-y^2+ax-by = c [/tex]

a,b,c are know.I want to find out x & y.

note:
a,b & c are positive integers

I need only positive x & y pairs in integers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Complete the square for both x and y and you will see that the set of points satisfying the equation form either an ellipse or hyperbola depending on the values of a, b and c.If you need to you can compare the equation with one of the standard forms to determine foci, major & minor radii and so forth.

In any case, you can simply solve the given equation or a simplified version of it for either x or y in terms of the other variable and substitute values of one into the solution to find the corresponding values of the other variable.

Tide said:
Complete the square for both x and y and you will see that the set of points satisfying the equation form either an ellipse or hyperbola depending on the values of a, b and c.If you need to you can compare the equation with one of the standard forms to determine foci, major & minor radii and so forth.

In any case, you can simply solve the given equation or a simplified version of it for either x or y in terms of the other variable and substitute values of one into the solution to find the corresponding values of the other variable.
Thus we have
(x+a/2)^2 -(y+b/2)^2 = c + (a^2-b^2)/4
(x+a/2-y-b/2)*(x+a/2+y+b/2) = c + (a^2 -b^2)/4
These two factors differ by 2y+b
To reduce typing let s= x+a/2-y-b/2 and t = x+a/2+y+b/2
then t-s=2y+b

Case 1 = b and a are both odd. Then the two factors must be of opposite parity, i.e. x and y are of opposite parity. Let P = the odd part of c+(a^2-b^2)/4 then c+(a^2-b^2) = 2^k*P where k>1. From Euclid's lemma and the fact that the above factors are both integers of opposite parity, there are only two possibilities.
1a s = 2^k*N where N divides P and t = P/N or
2a t = 2^k*N where N divides P and s = P/N
We need only to factor P. As an example, let P = 15 = 1*3*5 then for each of 1a and 2a there are 4 possibilities that have to be eliminated: N=1,3,5,or 15. With each choice y = (t-s-b)/2 from which x can be calculated and we can varify whether or not x and y are both positive.

I think the case where a and b are both even is similar to case 1. However, s and t, i.e. x and y, must be of the same parity

Case 2, a and b are of opposite parity
Multiply both sides by 4 to get
(2x+a-2y-b)*(2x+a+2y+b) = 4c+a^2-b^2 = s*t
here t-s = 4y-2b

This can be rewritten as s*t = P where P is odd, Factor P as N and P/N. For instance let s= 1,3,5,or 15 and t equal 15,5,3,1 respectively for P = 15. The solution continues as for case 1: first solving y = (t-s-2b)/4 and then solving t= 2x+a+2y+b for x.

1. How do I determine which method to use when solving an equation?

There are a few different methods for solving equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The best method to use will depend on the type of equation you are working with and your personal preference. It is important to understand the steps involved in each method and practice using them to determine which one works best for you.

2. What do I do if my equation has variables on both sides?

If your equation has variables on both sides, you will need to simplify it by combining like terms and getting all variables on one side. Then, you can use one of the solving methods to isolate the variable and solve for its value. Remember to perform the same operations on both sides of the equation to maintain balance.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should solve an equation?

Yes, there is a specific order you should follow when solving an equation. First, simplify the equation by combining like terms and getting all variables on one side. Then, use the appropriate method to isolate the variable and solve for its value. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to make sure it is correct.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an equation, but it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation by hand. A calculator can help with more complex equations, but it is still important to know how to solve equations manually to better understand the process.

5. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and solving for both sides. If the equation is balanced and both sides are equal, then your solution is correct. If the equation is not balanced, then you may have made a mistake in your calculations and will need to double check your work.