What Steps Are Missing to Solve (2x+5)^(x+1)=729?

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary: I saw ##19683## in your post, and hit reply to ask how that came about, but when I saw the ##\LaTeX## it said 6561 -- it looked like this: #3^{2^3} =3^8 =6561## ##\ \ne 729#-- I suppose maybe more braces were in order somewhere.You must have hit the reply button before I edited and re-submitted my post. What I had initially calculated was ##3^{3^2} ## (by mistake), which is ##19683##.My edited post was submitted about 13
Math100
Homework Statement
Solve the equation: (2x+5)^(x+1)=729
Relevant Equations
(2x+5)^(x+1)=729
Homework Statement: Solve the equation: (2x+5)^(x+1)=729
Homework Equations: (2x+5)^(x+1)=729

Here's my work:
(2x+5)^(x+1)=729
x+1=ln(729)/ln(2x+5)
x+1=ln(729/(2x+5))
e^(x+1)=e^ln(729/(2x+5))
e^(x+1)=729/(2x+5)
From here, I don't know what to do. All I know is that the answer is x=2. But I don't know how to get there. Can someone please help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is always a good idea to look at what you have!

On the LHS are ##x+1## equal factors. Which factors do you have on the RHS?

Likes HallsofIvy
Math100 said:
Homework Statement: Solve the equation: (2x+5)^(x+1)=729
Homework Equations: (2x+5)^(x+1)=729

Here's my work:
(2x+5)^(x+1)=729
x+1=ln(729)/ln(2x+5)
x+1=ln(729/(2x+5))
e^(x+1)=e^ln(729/(2x+5))
e^(x+1)=729/(2x+5)
From here, I don't know what to do. All I know is that the answer is x=2. But I don't know how to get there. Can someone please help me?
You do have an error in your workings.
ln(729)/ln(2x+5) is not equal to ln(729/(2x+5)). In general, ##\dfrac{\ln(a)}{\ln(b)} \ne \ln \dfrac a b ## .

Furthermore, I doubt that your approach is likely to give a solution.

To expand slightly on fresh_42's hint: Can you write 729 as some number raised to some other number?

Likes sysprog
Math100 said:
I know is that the answer is x=2. But I don't know how to get there.
Since it is easy enough to check that x=2 is an answer, I assume you are asking how to arrive at that by algebraic steps. The short answer is that you cannot.

To solve a question like that in general, without being given a solution, you need to be a bit creative. First questions should be whether the solution is likely to exist and be unique. In the present case you can check this by considering the ranges over which the function on the left is monotonic and for which of these the result encompasses 729.
Next, you can "binary chop", subdividing ranges to narrow down where solutions should lie.

Likes sysprog
##9^3=3^6=3^{2^3}=729##

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Not entirely correct.

##3^4=81##, not ##729##.

##9^3=(3\times3)^3=3^6##
You're right -- my mistake -- I edited my post to correct it.

sysprog said:
##9^3=3^6=3^{2^3}=729##
New error ##3^6## is correct. ##3^{2^3}## is not correct.

##3^{2^3} =3^8 =6561## ##\ \ne 729##

Last edited:
SammyS said:
New error ##3^6## is correct. ##3^{2^3}## is not correct.

##3^{2^3} =19683## ##\ \ne 729##
I guess that's a 'forgetting the rule' error 🤔 -- I meant ##{(3^2)}^3##; too late for me to re-edit, so here's the second corrected version: ##9^3=3^6={(3^2)}^3=729##

A reminder @all:

Please do not solve the problem for the OP! Remember that we want to teach, not solve trivial problems. I suppose everybody answering here saw the solution, so there is no need to tell the world the obvious.

fresh_42 said:
A reminder @all:

Please do not solve the problem for the OP! Remember that we want to teach, not solve trivial problems. I suppose everybody answering here saw the solution, so there is no need to tell the world the obvious.
Sorry -- didn't know I was overdoing it -- I'll be more careful about that.

I saw ##19683## in your post, and hit reply to ask how that came about, but when I saw the ##\LaTeX## it said 6561 -- it looked like this: #3^{2^3} =3^8 =6561## ##\ \ne 729#-- I suppose maybe more braces were in order somewhere.

sysprog said:

I saw ##19683## in your post, and hit reply to ask how that came about, but when I saw the ##\LaTeX## it said 6561 -- it looked like this: #3^{2^3} =3^8 =6561## ##\ \ne 729#-- I suppose maybe more braces were in order somewhere.
You must have hit the reply button before I edited and re-submitted my post. What I had initially calculated was ##3^{3^2} ## (by mistake), which is ##19683##.
My edited post was submitted about 13 minutes after the initial post.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes sysprog

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation where the unknown variable is in the exponent, such as y = ab^x. It is a type of mathematical equation that is used to model situations where the quantity being measured grows or decays at a constant rate.

2. How do I solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use logarithms, graphing, or trial and error. The most common method is to use logarithms, which involves taking the log of both sides of the equation and using algebra to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the difference between exponential and logarithmic equations?

Exponential and logarithmic equations are inverse functions of each other. In an exponential equation, the variable is in the exponent, while in a logarithmic equation, the variable is in the base. For example, in y = ab^x, b is the base, while in logby = x, b is the base and x is the exponent.

4. Can all exponential equations be solved?

No, not all exponential equations can be solved algebraically. Some equations may have complex solutions, while others may not have a solution at all. In these cases, you can use approximations or numerical methods to find an approximate solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of exponential equations?

Exponential equations are used to model growth and decay in various fields such as finance, biology, and physics. Some examples include compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. They are also used in data analysis and forecasting in fields such as economics and meteorology.