1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this:f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x)

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    does anybody knows how to solve this:f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x) ??

i would like to know the final answer is it = exp (2/x + 1/x ln x - tan x)??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We can't tell you the answer if you won't tell us the question! I don't know what you mean by "solve f(x)= ". Since you titled this "derivatives" I might guess you mean "find the derivative of f(x)" but in that case your "answer" makes no sense at all. I can only guess that you means something else entirely.

Please state the question clearly and don't just show an answer, show us how you got it.

4. Jan 21, 2006 #3
    ya,that's the question....myanswer it wrong.May i know how to do it??

5. Jan 21, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'll repeat:Please state the question clearly and don't just show an answer, show us how you got it.

I really doubt that you have a homework problem that says, word for word, "solve f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x)". It makes no sense to say "solve" a function.

Now, how did you attempt to do this problem?

6. Jan 21, 2006 #5
    Do you know that d(uv)/dx = v(du/dx) + u(dv/dx)
    Now here you have three functions. Can you take two functions as one and then apply the above rule again i.e. apply it two times.

7. Jan 21, 2006 #6

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have they move teaching about derivatives, to precalculus courses? :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?