Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to solve this:f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x)

1. Jan 21, 2006 #1
    does anybody knows how to solve this:f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x) ??

i would like to know the final answer is it = exp (2/x + 1/x ln x - tan x)??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

We can't tell you the answer if you won't tell us the question! I don't know what you mean by "solve f(x)= ". Since you titled this "derivatives" I might guess you mean "find the derivative of f(x)" but in that case your "answer" makes no sense at all. I can only guess that you means something else entirely.

Please state the question clearly and don't just show an answer, show us how you got it.

4. Jan 21, 2006 #3
    ya,that's the question....myanswer it wrong.May i know how to do it??

5. Jan 21, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I'll repeat:Please state the question clearly and don't just show an answer, show us how you got it.

I really doubt that you have a homework problem that says, word for word, "solve f(x)=(x^2) (ln x) (cos x)". It makes no sense to say "solve" a function.

Now, how did you attempt to do this problem?

6. Jan 21, 2006 #5
    Do you know that d(uv)/dx = v(du/dx) + u(dv/dx)
    Now here you have three functions. Can you take two functions as one and then apply the above rule again i.e. apply it two times.

7. Jan 21, 2006 #6

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have they move teaching about derivatives, to precalculus courses? :confused:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook