1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this forced wave equation?

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a system satisfies the equation [itex]\nu^2 {\partial^2 \psi\over \partial x^2}={\partial^2 \psi\over \partial t^2}+a{\partial \psi\over \partial t}-b\sin\left({\pi x \over L}\right)\cos\left({\pi \nu t\over L}\right)[/itex]
    subjected to conditions: [itex]\psi(0,t)=\psi(L,t)={\partial \psi(x,0)\over \partial t}=0[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x,0)=c\sin\left({\pi x\over L}\right)[/itex],

how might I solve this?
    Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

As above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can solve the equation [itex]\nu^2 {\partial^2 \psi\over \partial x^2}={\partial^2 \psi\over \partial t^2}+a{\partial \psi\over \partial t}[/itex] by separation of variables. But I don't know how to deal with the [itex]b\sin\left({\pi x \over L}\right)\cos\left({\pi \nu t\over L}\right)[/itex] term. Also, what is the "forced component" of [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2
    Laplace transform?

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might try a trial function of the form Phi (x,t) = K sin (pi x/L) cos (pi nu t/L)

From your post, I am not sure which constant terms nu, a, b, c, or L are known

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook