Strategies for Solving Fractional Integrals with Polynomial Expressions

• Thread starter Penultimate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses an integral problem involving the fraction (x+8)/(x-8). The user has tried various methods to solve it, but is still stuck. Other users offer suggestions and solutions, such as factoring and using partial fractions. Eventually, the conversation also touches on a simpler version of the problem, (x^3 + 8)/(x^3 - 8), which can be easily factored.
Penultimate
Can you help me solve this one :

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{x+8}{x-8}[/tex]dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Penultimate said:
Can you help me solve this one :

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{x+8}{x-8}[/tex]dx
What have you tried thus far?

Do you know how to do [itex]\int{\log{x} \, dx}[/itex]?

(x+8)/(x-8) = (x + 8 - 16 + 16)/(x-8) = (x-8 + 16)/(x-8) = 1 + 16/(x-8).

That's not too hard to integrate, right?

Sorry guys i have submited the integral without puting the exponent for each X(thats why this one is too simple).

The one i am trying to solve is :

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{x^3+8}{x^3-8}[/tex]dx

I have tryed irracional mode (thats the one it requires but i am stuck at the end).

Penultimate said:
I have tryed irracional mode (thats the one it requires but i am stuck at the end).
Why don't you show us what you've done and where your stuck then we can help you?

Hi Penultimate!

Alright, let's help you out here. Firstly, can you break up the denominator into a linear factor multiplied by a quadratic expression?

Well (x^3 + 8)/(x^3 - 8) = (x^3 - 8 + 16)/(x^3 - 8) = 1 + 16/(x^3 - 8).

x^3-8 can easily be factored, and so use partial fractions on that integral.

Actually, [itex]x^3+ 8[/itex] can be factored as easily as [itex]x^3- 8[/itex]. In fact, [itexs]x^n+ a^n[/itex] can be factored easily for all odd n.

[tex]x^3+8=x^3+2^3=(x+2)(x^2-2x+4)[/tex]

[tex]x^3-8=x^3-2^3=(x-2)(x^2+2x+4)=(x-2)(x+2)^2[/tex]

Another way is:
[tex]\frac{x^3+8}{x^3-8}=\frac{x^3-8+16}{x^3-8}=1+\frac{16}{x^3-8}[/tex]

Regards.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value or quantity of a function over a specific range.

2. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. These techniques help you simplify the integral and evaluate it to find its solution.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals?

An indefinite integral has no limits of integration and represents the general antiderivative of a function. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and represents the exact value of the integral over a given range.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve integrals, but it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration before relying on a calculator. It is also important to check your answer using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals faster?

Some tips for solving integrals faster include recognizing patterns in the integrand, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and making appropriate substitutions to transform the integral into a simpler form. It is also helpful to practice and understand the various integration techniques.