1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this limit w/out a calculator

1. Sep 16, 2009 #1
    lim [3 + sqrt(x^2−x+1)]/[sqrt(9x^2−7x) −2x+5]
    x−>-infinity

i know the conjugate of the nominator is 3-sqrt(x^2-x+1), but what is the conjugate of the denominator (or do i need to try some other method)?

PS- I cannot solve this with deravatives b/c the teacher tols us not to

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would handle the roots by writing, for example, sqrt(9x^2-7x)=3*|x|*sqrt(1-7x/(9x^2))=3*|x|*sqrt(1-7/(9x)). So the sqrt is 3*|x| times something whose limit is 1. DON'T mess with conjugates. DO keep track of the absolute values.

4. Sep 16, 2009 #3
    ummm... my teacher said conjugates were the best for limits with a sqrt involved, i dont think we are in the same page (i wasnt able to understand what you did... if u could clarify that would be great =))
    thanks in advance

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Conjugates aren't your best bet here. Too complicated. I'm basically just suggesting you divide numerator and denominator by x and look at the limit of each term. Be careful when you get to limits like sqrt(x^2-x+1)/x. What is the limit of that one?

6. Sep 16, 2009 #5
    1?( sqrt(x^2-x+1)/(x) simplifying [x*sqrt(1-1/x+1/x^2)]/x, the x´s cancel and im left off with sqrt(1-1/x+1/x^2)= 1 right????

7. Sep 16, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try it on your calculator. x->negative infinity. The limit is -1, right? The x comes out of the sqrt as |x|. |x|/x=(-1) if x is negative. I told you to be careful of that.

8. Sep 16, 2009 #7
    oh ok i need to remember the absolute value after x comes out of the sqrt.. so after i have the limits of all the four parts i can sum them up?
    thanks alot!

9. Sep 16, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. After you divide by x you don't get a 0/0 form for the limit. If you did you would need to think about using conjugates to cancel something. But here you don't.

10. Sep 16, 2009 #9
    thanks a lot!! i got the right answer (1/5) is this method trustworthy for most limits???

11. Sep 16, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If all the terms in your limit have a finite limit and the final result doesn't have an indeterminant form like 0/0, what could go wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook