1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this non-linear system?

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    Given that F(x,y)=xy(x+y-1). Determine whether S={(x,y) | F(x,y)=0} is a smooth curve.

Now, F(x,y)=x2y + xy2 - xy
    Let gradient F = (2xy + y2 - y, x2 + 2xy - x) = 0
    So 2xy + y2 - y = 0 and x2 + 2xy - x = 0
    In order to determine where S is smooth, I have to solve these 2 equations for x and y, and I am stuck right here. How can I solve this non-linear system?

Thanks if someone could help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Well, your two equations both have 2xy in them, so you might start by solving for that:

2xy = -y^2 + y
    2xy = -x^2 + x

So, y^2 - y = x^2 -x

Writing y^2 - y -( x^2 - x) = 0 and completing the square, we get (y - 1/2)^2 -(x -1/2)^2 = 0.

Hence, you get (y - 1/2)^2 = (x-1/2)^2; any pair of points (x,y) satisfying this equation will satisfy your system of equations. (Of course, double check everything to make sure I'm right, etc.)

4. Dec 2, 2007 #3
    x=y=2 satisfies your last equation,
    but it doesn't satisfy 2xy + y2 - y = 0 and x2 + 2xy - x = 0

How come?

5. Dec 2, 2007 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

Hm. I guess I hadn't fully thought this through. I suspect the trick is that if 2xy + y^2 - y = 0 and 2xy + x^2 - x = 0, then the final equations I wrote must be true. The converse isn't true. What the last equations tell you, I think, is that any solution of your first equation is also constrained by the last equations I wrote down. So, you should be able to write

[tex]y = \frac{1}{2} + \left|x - \frac{1}{2} \right|[/tex]

This gives two solutions for y in terms of x. Either y = x, in which case you have to solve

[tex]2x^2 - x^2 + x = x^2 -x = 0[/tex] and you see you need x = 0 or 1,

or y = 1 - x, in which case you have to solve

[tex]2x(1-x) -x^2 + x = -3x^2 + 3x = 0[/tex], in which case again x = 0 or 1.

As you can see, x = 0, 1 satisfy your original system.

So, that might be the whole story, but again, check to make sure I didn't miss anything.

6. Dec 2, 2007 #5
    It looks like [tex]S[/tex] is a union of three lines: [tex]x=0, y=0, x + y = 1[/tex]. That's definitely not smooth; you have sharp angles at the intersection points of the lines.

The solution to the other system is [tex](0, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), (1/3, 1/3)[/tex].

I found all of that just by factoring the appropriate expressions and noting that at least one of the factors must be 0 in order for the product to be 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?