Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this nonlinear ODE?

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    Hello,

How to solve the equation as follows:
    F''+F'*F'-k*F=0, where k is a constant and k>0

Is there any analytical solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Certainly, there exist an analytic function that satisfies the equation. If by "analytical solution" you mean, rather, that there is a calculus method for getting an exact solution, I would suspect "no" simply because "almost all" non-linear differential equations cannot be solved that way.

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Your equation is equivalent to a first-order system, if we let [tex]F = u[/tex] and [tex]F' = v[/tex]:
    [tex] \begin{cases}\dot{u} = v \\ \dot{v} = ku-v^2\end{cases}[/tex]

From there you can quite easily find a first integral and then separate variables in the second equation:

[tex] \begin{cases}\dot{u} = v \\ \dot{v}^2 = v^4 + kv^2-kE\end{cases}[/tex]

Where E is a constant determined by the initial conditions.

edit: the function I found is not a first integral :/

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  5. Dec 8, 2008 #4
    Thanks for your reply.
    While I cannot see how you obtain the fourth equation: [tex]\dot{v} ^2 = v^4 + kv^2-kE\[/tex]
    Would you please support more details?

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5
    I assumed you were familiar with the definition of first integral. A first integral for the system [tex]y' = g(y), g : D \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n[/tex] is a [tex]C^1[/tex] scalar function [tex]E : D \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] constant on every solution of the system. In other words, if [tex]\phi : I \rightarrow D[/tex] is a solution of the system, [tex]E(\phi(t)) = \mathrm{const.} \quad \forall t \in I[/tex].

It follows from the definition that the gradient of E is everywhere normal to the field g:
    [tex]\nabla E(y) \cdot g(y) = 0 \quad \forall y \in D[/tex].

In your equation, [tex]g = (v,ku-v^2)[/tex]. A field normal to that is [tex]f = (-ku+v^2,v)[/tex]. The problem is, the equation I wrote yesterday is wrong because it is not so obvious to find a primitive of a conservative field parallel to this field f. I was too much in a hurry to check, sorry ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?