Is My Approach to Solving This Permutation Problem Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions about permutations and combinations, including the number of ways to arrange different sets of mugs and colors. The correct answers are 7C3*5C2=350 ways for Q1(b), 6!*7P3=15120 ways for Q2, and 12!/7!*4!=3960 ways for Q3. It is important to consider identical objects and the specific conditions given in each question to arrive at the correct solution.
bllnsr

Homework Statement

http://i49.tinypic.com/wmmhbl.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my answers :
Q1:(a)
(i) 8!
(ii) 4!*5!
Q1:(b)
7P3*5P2
Q2:
4320 ways
Q3:
12!*3!
Are my answers correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1 looks fine. I haven't checked Q2, but Q3 is way off. How do you get that result anyway?

bllnsr said:
Q1:(b)
7P3*5P2
P or C?
Q2:
4320 ways
Doesn't seem enough. How did you arrive at that?
Q3:
12!*3!
The mugs of each colour are identical, and you only care about the pattern of colours here.

Q2:
6!*3!=4320 ways

bllnsr said:
Q2:
6!*3!=4320 ways

That doesn't count the ways one set of mugs may be placed in relation to the other set.

In Q.1 (b) you should use combinations and not permutations since we are talking about selections. for Q.2 try to think placing china mugs in some specific no. of allowed spaces and then rearranging them. In Q.3 you can't consider all mugs different. Mugs of same colour can't be rearranged within themselves.

Ok so Q1(b) should be 7C3*5C2=350 ways right?

bllnsr said:
Ok so Q1(b) should be 7C3*5C2=350 ways right?

Yes, as I suggested in post #3.

Q2:
There are 6 different plastic mugs and 3 different china mugs to be placed in a row
where no two china mugs are adjacent.

Place the 6 plastic mugs in row, inserting spaces before, after and between them.
_x_x_x_x_x_x_

There are 6! arrangements of the 6 plastic mugs.

Choose 3 of the 7 spaces and place the 3 china mugs.
There are 7P3 ways.

Therefore, there are:61*7P3 possible arrangements.

am i correct?

and as for Q3 I don't know how to start

Q2 looks fine to me now.

Q3 contains a red herring, since first we're told that there are 3 identical red mugs, and then they should be regarded as one unit by being kept together. Imagine dumping the 3 red mugs in one large red box, then you have only 12 objects to arrange: the red box, 4 identical blue mugs and 7 identical yellow mugs.

@Michael Redei
Q3:
1 red box + 4 identical blue mugs + 7 identical yellow mugs = 12!
and there are 3 mugs in the red box so it should be 12!*3!

Last edited:
bllnsr said:
@Michael Redei
Q3:
1 red box + 4 identical blue mugs + 7 identical yellow mugs = 12!
and there are 3 mugs in the red box so it should be 12!*3!

Some of those mugs are identical! For example, there aren't 3! ways of arranging 3 identical red mugs. There's only one.

Dick said:
Some of those mugs are identical! For example, there aren't 3! ways of arranging 3 identical red mugs. There's only one.

... furthermore, the question does not ask for the number of ways of arranging the mugs. It asks for the number of ways of arranging the colours.

Q3:
12!/7!*4!=3960 correct?

bllnsr said:
Q3:
12!/7!*4!=3960 correct?

Yes!

bllnsr said:
Q3:
12!/7!*4!=3960 correct?

It might look better as 12! / (7! 4!), or even better as $$\frac{12!}{7! \cdot 4! \cdot 1!} = 3960.$$
12! / 7! * 4! would be (12! / 7!) * 4! = 2 280 960

ok I got it and thanks for help everyone

1. What is a permutation?

A permutation is a way of arranging a set of objects in a specific order. The number of possible permutations depends on the number of objects and the order in which they are arranged.

2. How do I approach solving a permutation question?

To solve a permutation question, you should first identify the number of objects in the set and the specific order in which they need to be arranged. Then, use the permutation formula nPr = n! / (n-r)! to calculate the number of possible arrangements.

3. What is the difference between a permutation and a combination?

A permutation considers the order of the objects, while a combination does not. For example, the permutations of ABC are ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, and CBA, while the combinations are ABC, ACB, BAC, and CAB.

4. Can you provide an example of a permutation question?

Sure, an example of a permutation question would be: How many ways can 6 books be arranged on a shelf if one book must always be placed in the middle?

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving permutation questions?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts for solving certain types of permutation questions, such as when there are repeated objects. These shortcuts involve using combinations and dividing by the factorial of the number of repeated objects. However, it is always important to understand the basic formula and principles behind permutations before using shortcuts.