1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this problem using diff equations?

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a light ray goes trough a transparent surface, its intensity rate of change decreases proportionaly to I(t), where t is the thickness. On a specific kind of water, intensity 3 feet from below the surface is 25% its original intensity. What is the intensity from 15 ft below the surface? (sorry for my english lol)

2. Relevant equations

dI/dt = kI, I(3) = 0.25I_0

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt is here: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4237/zill2.png [Broken]

The correct answer is I = 0.0009765625 I_0, but I don't know how to get there!!! Any hint please?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

You know that [itex]I(t) = I_0 e^{-kt}[/itex] for some [itex]k > 0[/itex]. The first step is to find [itex]k[/itex] from the condition [itex]I(3) = 0.25I_0[/itex], so that
    [tex]
    I_0 e^{-3k} = 0.25 I_0
    [/tex]
    Then you can find [itex]I(15) = I_0 e^{-15k}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Feb 28, 2013 #3
    Ah of course!!! Because I(0) = I_0, and thus, c = I_0. The rest is easy. Thank you!

5. Mar 2, 2013 #4
    Supermiedos,
    there is a much simpler approach: since the light intensity decreases by a factor of 4 every time it goes through a layer of 3 meters of water, the light intensity after 5 layers is just ##(1/4)^5=1/1024=0.0009765625##. No need for an ODE :wink:

6. Mar 3, 2013 #5
    Hehe, that's actually right. Thank you :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted