1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to solve this resistor network

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys,
    Im new here and im working for the first time with with these applications.
    So, i have this resistor network https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44965&stc=1&d=1331497208 where R1=220 ohm and R2=330 ohm.
    I must find the electrical resistence between pins 1-8, 1-2 and 2-4. They must give me around 92 ohm, 168 ohm and 265 ohm.

3. The attempt at a solution
    For 1-8 i made (R1+R2)/6=91.66 ohm but for the others i dont know how to solve them. Ill be very glad if you`ll explain me 1-2 or 2-4 to understand how to solve these kind of problems.
    PS: The resistors are not isolated, i also dont know what this means. :frown:

Well, for 1-2 i made ((R1+R2)/5+R1)*R2/(((R1+R2)/5+R1)+R2=165 ohm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hello Drao92, Welcome to Physics Forums.

As a start, after picking two of the terminals that you want to find the resistance between, redraw the circuit having removed all of the extraneous leads and terminals that are not connected to anything. This will leave a less cluttered picture to contemplate.

Next, realize that when resistors are in parallel it doesn't matter what order they are in so long as all of them are accounted for. So you can "shuffle" the order of the transistor pairs (R1 and R2 series units) at will along the top and bottom rails. A handy choice might be to move the pair that are externally connected to be next to each other, say to the left end of the string. This might give you some ideas about simplification :wink:

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    Hi gneill
    Im doing 2-3 atm and i found out from google its an irreductible network and it can be solved with
    node-voltage puting a 1 Amp test source at pins and find the voltage at pins, in fact i must find only V1, because i make V0=0, then R=(Vpin2(v1 in photo)-Vpin3(v0 in photo))/1amp.
    This is how i transformed the circuit for 2-3 case.
    Later edit: The first photo was wrong, this one is good.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44967&stc=1&d=1331502295

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Actually it's not quite irreducible; One could apply a Δ-Y transformation to continue reducing the circuit. Of course, whether or not that takes less effort than doing a little mesh or nodal analysis is a personal choice :smile:

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5
    Man, you are awsome, thanks u very much, this is more easy :).
    I learned just the theory of these theorems, never made application and yes, those "square" loops are triangles :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook