How to solve this specific logarithm problem

In summary, there was a discussion about solving the equation 5x = 4x + 1 for x. It was mentioned that x = 1 is an answer, but there was difficulty solving it using logs. Different methods were suggested, such as using the mean value theorem or calculus to show that x = 1 is the only solution. However, it was concluded that there is no clean algebraic method to solve this equation and the solution must be obtained through numerical methods or by graphing.
srfriggen
(This is absolutely not a HW problem) I had posted in a much older thread, so just wanted to post again in a new one. How would you solve, for x:

5x = 4x + 1

x = 1 is clearly an answer, but I get struck when trying to solve using logs.

If I take log5 of both sides I get,

x = log5 ( 4x+ 1) and of course you don't distribute the log function. So how does one solve this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why did you re-post it?

You know that ##x=1## is a zero of ##f(x)=5^x-4^x-1##. What methods do you know to show, that it is the only zero?
So in doing so, you know indirectly ##5^x = 4^x + 1 \Longrightarrow x=1##.

Likes Logical Dog
fresh_42 said:
Why did you re-post it?

You know that ##x=1## is a zero of ##f(x)=5^x-4^x-1##. What methods do you know to show, that it is the only zero?

Sorry to repost. I haven't posted in PF in a while and didn't realize the old post got moved to the top.

I've been trying, and in that form too, and I just don't see it. I don't think it's in quadratic form so I don't see a way to do a u-substitution, and I can't see how I can apply the zero product law without factoring. I'm thinking I must be rusty on some exponent law that I'm missing.

fresh_42 said:
fresh_42 is, I believe, steering you toward using methods of calculus to show that the function has only one zero.

Mark44 said:
fresh_42 is, I believe, steering you toward using methods of calculus to show that the function has only one zero.
I am not at that level. I have not done calculus in such a long time. The only thing I can think of is the mean value theorem will tell you something about whether a zero exists, but I simply do not know the method to calculate the zero. Can someone please show me how this would be solved?

srfriggen said:
I am not at that level. I have not done calculus in such a long time. The only thing I can think of is the mean value theorem will tell you something about whether a zero exists, but I simply do not know the method to calculate the zero. Can someone please show me how this would be solved?
It cannot be solved explicitly, will say, there is no formula to get from ##5^x=4^x+1## to ##x=1##.
Can you differentiate it? This would help to show whether the function ##f(x)=5^x-4^x-1## is increasing. Or you might be able to show, that ##f(x)<0## for ##x<1## and ##f(x)>0## for ##x>1##. These are possible ways to show that only ##x=1## solves the equation. All of them are kind of indirect, because you cannot rearrange the equation to a form ##x= \ldots##

fresh_42 said:
It cannot be solved explicitly, will say, there is no formula to get from ##5^x=4^x+1## to ##x=1##.
Can you differentiate it? This would help to show whether the function ##f(x)=5^x-4^x-1## is increasing. Or you might be able to show, that ##f(x)<0## for ##x<1## and ##f(x)>0## for ##x>1##. These are possible ways to show that only ##x=1## solves the equation. All of them are kind of indirect, because you cannot rearrange the equation to a form ##x= \ldots##
Would this be a situation for the Squeeze Theorem? It's definitely always increasing and I recall the mean value theorem would prove that there exists a real zero, but I don't know how to get 1 as an answer. Like I mentioned, I haven't done calculus in 6 years and am just grasping at straws. If it can't be done with logs I guess I just feel better I wasn't missing anything.

You get ##1## as an answer only by numeric methods, e.g. the Newton-Paphson method or by using Wolframalpha or in this case by an easy guess. I think in this case it is easier to show where ##f(x) < 0## and where ##f(x) > 0## since we know the answer already than to use any theorems.

Don't know if this will help, but . . .

You have x = log5( 4x+ 1) . This implies x > 0.

In this range, the slope of 5^x is always greater than that of 4^x. (This can be proved by calculus, but it's probably obvious.)

Both are monotonically increasing functions. So, geometrically, it follows that the curve of y = 5^x can't intersect that of y = 4^x + 1 more than once.

John Park said:
Both are monotonically increasing functions. So, geometrically, it follows that the curve of y = 5^x can't intersect that of y = 4^x + 1 more than once.
That part of the argument is not well stated.

Both f(x) = 10x + sin x and g(x) = 10 x are monotone increasing. Yet the graphs of f(x) and g(x) intersect infinitely many times.

A better observation is that the slope f(x) = 5x is [for positive x] greater than that of g(x) = 4x + 1 (and that are both defined for positive x). This means that the slope of f(x) - g(x) in this range is always positive and consequently that f(x) - g(x) is monotone increasing for positive x. This means that it can have at most one positive zero.

Last edited:
That part of the argument is not well stated.

I did make the point about the slopes; probably I should have repunctuated to emphasise it.

But perhaps the main point is that in this case, as for many real-world problems, there is no clean "algebraic" way to get to the solution. You either happen to see a solution (as here) and convince yourself it's the one want, or you use some numerical approach or possibly algebraic approximation.

John Park said:
Don't know if this will help, but . . .

You have x = log5( 4x+ 1) . This implies x > 0.
The equation above does not imply that x > 0. A log function can evaluate to a negative number; for example, ##\log(1/10) = -1##.
John Park said:
In this range, the slope of 5^x is always greater than that of 4^x. (This can be proved by calculus, but it's probably obvious.)

Don't know if this will help, but . . . You have x = log5( 4x+ 1) . This implies x > 0.

The equation above does not imply that x > 0. A log function can evaluate to a negative number; for example, log ( 1 / 10 ) = − 1 log 1 10 1 .

Look at the original equation:
x=log5(4x+1) (Sorry for the typo above.)

The quantity 4x must be greater than zero; therefore the argument of the log is greater than 1, and the log is positive.

1. How do I simplify a logarithm expression?

To simplify a logarithm expression, you can use the properties of logarithms. These include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule. By applying these rules, you can rewrite the expression in a simpler form.

2. What is the difference between solving a logarithm equation and evaluating a logarithm expression?

When solving a logarithm equation, you are finding the value of the variable that makes the equation true. This involves using the properties of logarithms and manipulating the equation to isolate the variable. On the other hand, evaluating a logarithm expression means finding the numerical value of the expression without solving for a variable.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a logarithm problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a logarithm problem. Most scientific calculators have a logarithm function, usually denoted as "log" or "ln". Just make sure to enter the correct base for the logarithm, as the default base for calculators is usually 10.

4. How can I check if my solution to a logarithm problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a logarithm problem is correct, you can substitute your solution back into the original equation. If the result is true, then your solution is correct. You can also use a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and see if they are equal.

5. What are some real-life applications of logarithms?

Logarithms are widely used in science, engineering, and finance. They can be used to measure the intensity of earthquakes, the loudness of sound, and the acidity of a substance. In finance, logarithms are used to calculate compound interest and to track the growth of investments. They are also used in computer science and data analysis to measure the complexity of algorithms and to compress large datasets.