How to solve this system of equations?

In summary, solving a system of equations using elimination involves arranging the equations, eliminating one variable, solving for the remaining variable, and checking the solution. It is possible to solve a system with more than two variables, but the number of equations must match the number of variables. There is no specific order in which to solve the equations, and if there are no solutions or infinitely many solutions, the system is either inconsistent or dependent. Substitution can also be used, but it may be more complex for systems with multiple variables.
lape99
I don't know if I'm posting in the wright section, but i need to solve this system of equations:

{5x^4 - 4x + 5y = 0
5y^4 + 5x - 4y = 0}

I know one answer is (0;0), but i don't know how to show it, also there is another point.
Maybe someone can help me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you subtract the equations from each other, you get the following:

5x^4-5y^4-9(x-y)=0

Now, you have:
x^4-y^4=(x-y)(x^3+x^2y+xy^2+y^3), and thus, you may factorize the above equation as:
(x-y)*(5(x^3+x^2y+xy^2+y^3)-9)=0

Thank you very much :)

lape99 said:
I don't know if I'm posting in the wright section, but i need to solve this system of equations:

{5x^4 - 4x + 5y = 0
5y^4 + 5x - 4y = 0}

I know one answer is (0;0), but i don't know how to show it, also there is another point.
Maybe someone can help me?

One can use Groebner basis methods to get at all the solutions. Using the Groebner package in Maple 11, I get:
sys:=[5*x^4-4*x+5*y,5*y^4+5*x-4*y]:lprint(sys); <== input
[5*x^4-4*x+5*y, 5*y^4+5*x-4*y]
with(Groebner): <=== load the Groebner package
B:=Basis(sys,plex(x,y)):lprint(B);
[225*y+756*y^4-1280*y^7+2400*y^10-2000*y^13+625*y^16, 5*y^4+5*x-4*y]

This B is the output. The two original equations are equivalent to setting the two components of B to zero (although, of course, there may be some extraneous roots, so those must be checked in the original system). Note that the first component of B is a polynomial in y alone, so we can find roots of the two-equation system by first solving the polynomial in y, then solving for x by setting the second expression in B to zero.

f1y:=B[1]:lprint(f1y);
225*y+756*y^4-1280*y^7+2400*y^10-2000*y^13+625*y^16 <--- set to zero

Let's try to factor the polynomial.

F:=factor(f1y):lprint(F);
y*(5*y^3+1)*(125*y^12-425*y^9+565*y^6-369*y^3+225) <=== the factors

So, y = 0 or 5*y^3 + 1 = 0, or
125*y^12 -425*y^9 + 565*y^6 -360*y^3 + 225 = 0, which is a 4th degree polynomial in z = y^3.

After solving for y, we get x from 5*x = 4*y - 5*y^4.

Note: doing anything like this by hand would take months or years of work and require hundreds of pages of algebraic work. Use of a computer algebra system is essential.

RGV

I would approach this problem by using mathematical methods to solve the system of equations. One approach could be to use substitution, where one variable is isolated in one equation and then substituted into the other equation. This would involve manipulating the equations algebraically to eliminate one variable and solve for the other. Another approach could be to use elimination, where the two equations are combined in a way that eliminates one variable when they are subtracted or added together. This would also involve algebraic manipulation to simplify the equations and solve for the remaining variable.

In order to show that the point (0,0) is a solution to this system of equations, we can substitute x=0 and y=0 into both equations and show that they are equal to 0. This would demonstrate that (0,0) satisfies both equations and is therefore a solution.

Additionally, there may be other methods such as graphing or using matrices to solve this system of equations. It is important to choose the method that is most appropriate and efficient for the specific problem at hand. I would recommend consulting with a mathematics expert or using a reliable software program to solve this system of equations accurately and efficiently.

1. How do I solve a system of equations using elimination?

To solve a system of equations using elimination, follow these steps:

1. Arrange the equations so that like terms are lined up vertically.
  2. Add or subtract the equations to eliminate one variable.
  3. Solve for the remaining variable.
  4. Substitute this value into one of the original equations to find the value of the other variable.
  5. Check your solution by plugging the values into both equations.

2. Can I solve a system of equations that has more than two variables?

Yes, you can solve a system of equations that has more than two variables. However, you will need as many equations as there are variables to solve the system.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should solve the equations in a system?

There is no specific order in which you need to solve the equations in a system. You can choose to eliminate any variable first, as long as you follow the steps correctly.

4. What if I end up with no solution or infinitely many solutions?

If you end up with no solution, it means that the system of equations is inconsistent, and there is no solution that satisfies all of the equations. If you end up with infinitely many solutions, it means that the system of equations is dependent, and there are multiple solutions that satisfy all of the equations.

5. Can I use substitution instead of elimination to solve a system of equations?

Yes, you can use substitution to solve a system of equations. However, it may be more time-consuming and complicated compared to using elimination, especially for systems with more than two variables.