What is the Sum of Angles a and b in This Trigonometry Problem?

In summary, to find a + b from the given equations, we can square them and add, resulting in ##\sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b = \sin (a+b)##. This allows us to solve for sin(a+b) and then find the value of a + b.
Helly123

Homework Statement

##\sin a + \cos b## = ##\frac{-1}{2}##
##\cos a + \sin b## = ##\frac{\sqrt 3}{2}##

0 < a < ##\pi/2##
##\pi/2## < b < ##\pi##

a + b = ? By calculating sin (a+b)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried :
##\sin a + \cos b =
2sin\frac{(a+b)}{2}cos\frac{(a-b)}{2} = -\frac{1}{2}##

##\cos a + \sin b =2sin\frac{(a+b)}{2}cos\frac{(b-a)}{2} = \frac{\sqrt3}{2}##

I tried to multiple it by ##\sqrt2/2##
##\sin a \cos 45 + \sin 45 \cos b = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{\sqrt 2}{2}##
##\sin 45 \cos a + \sin b \cos 45 = \frac{\sqrt3}{2}\frac{\sqrt 2}{2}##

##\sin a + \cos b = -\frac{1}{2} = \sin 210 = \sin 330 ##

None of this steps get me a clue to find a + b. Can i get a clue?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your usual approach when solving two simultaneous equations? Don't you try to eliminate one variable?

Likes Helly123
Square the two equations and add.

You'll get ##\sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b## on the left hand side along with other terms. Other terms will reduce to 1. ##\sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b = \sin (a+b)##. You're done.

Likes Helly123
Work at it backwards. The problem asks you to find a + b by first finding sin(a + b). What is sin(a + b) ? Then see if you can get that from the given equations

Likes Helly123
Wrichik Basu said:
Square the two equations and add.

You'll get ##\sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b## on the left hand side along with other terms. Other terms will reduce to 1. ##\sin a \cos b + \cos a \sin b = \sin (a+b)##. You're done.
It worked. Thanks

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. How do I identify which trigonometric function to use?

To determine which trigonometric function to use, you must first examine the equation and identify the known values and unknown values. Then, refer to the unit circle and use the known values to determine which trigonometric function corresponds with the given ratio.

2. What is the best method for solving a trigonometry equation?

The best method for solving a trigonometry equation depends on the given equation. Some common methods include using trigonometric identities, the unit circle, or algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the most appropriate method.

3. How do I solve a trigonometry equation with multiple angles?

To solve a trigonometry equation with multiple angles, you can use the sum and difference formulas for trigonometric functions. These formulas allow you to rewrite the equation in terms of a single angle, making it easier to solve.

4. What is the importance of checking your answers when solving a trigonometry equation?

It is crucial to check your answers when solving a trigonometry equation to ensure that they are correct. Trigonometric equations often have multiple solutions, so checking your answers helps to verify that you have found all possible solutions.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve a trigonometry equation?

There is no specific order in which you must solve a trigonometry equation. However, it is often helpful to simplify the equation as much as possible before attempting to solve it. Additionally, it is important to follow the correct order of operations when solving the equation.