How to solve this vector problem?

• Thread starter sowmit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a vector problem involving a car's trip. The problem gives the car's distance and direction of travel, and the goal is to find the single vector that represents the net effect of the trip. The attempted solution involves using an equation with the given vectors, but it does not work because the given vectors are not perpendicular. The solution is to resolve the vectors into their north and west components, make them perpendicular, and then use these components in the equation to find the net effect vector.
sowmit
How to solve this vector problem?

Homework Statement

A car travels 20 km due north and then 35 km in a direction of 60degree west of north. Find the magnitude and direction of a single vector that gives the net effect of the car trip.

Homework Equations

(vector) R = square root (vector)( A^2 + B^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer is 40.1 km while the answer says it's 48 km. I don't know how to solve the angle. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org

sowmit said:

Homework Statement

A car travels 20 km due north and then 35 km in a direction of 60degree west of north. Find the magnitude and direction of a single vector that gives the net effect of the car trip.

Homework Equations

(vector) R = square root (vector)( A^2 + B^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer is 40.1 km while the answer says it's 48 km. I don't know how to solve the angle. Help please!
Try resolving the vectors into their North and West components and adding the components. Then find the length from these perpendicular components.

AM

Solve their north and west component? How is that possible? Isn't that given in the problem already?

What Andrew Mason is saying is that the components given in the problem are not perpendicular; this is the reason your equation is not working. Try making two perpendicular components, one north and one west (not at an angle west). Then use these in the equation.

1. How do I find the magnitude of a vector?

To find the magnitude of a vector, you need to use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves squaring the x-component of the vector, squaring the y-component, adding them together, and then taking the square root of the sum.

2. How do I find the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector can be found using trigonometric functions. To find the direction, you need to use the inverse tangent function to find the angle between the vector and the x-axis. This angle will give you the direction of the vector.

3. How do I add two vectors together?

To add two vectors together, you need to use the parallelogram method. This involves drawing the two vectors as sides of a parallelogram, and then drawing the diagonal of the parallelogram to find the resulting vector.

4. How do I subtract two vectors?

To subtract two vectors, you need to use the same method as addition, but instead of drawing them as sides of a parallelogram, you draw them in opposite directions. The resulting vector will be the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two original vectors.

5. How do I find the dot product of two vectors?

To find the dot product of two vectors, you need to multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add them together. This will give you a scalar value. The dot product is used to find the angle between two vectors and to project one vector onto another.